Register

First Sneezer of the bunch!

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 31,400.00

First Sneezer of the bunch!

Post Number:#1  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:29 pm

Well, the kits are about to turn 9 weeks on Friday and tonight we heard the first sneezer/cougher of the bunch. :( I have been checking them daily for snot, matted fur, crusty eyes, etc...This one started "barking" and so I took it out, checked it and sure enough, there was matted fur on its paws...durn. :evil: So, it is spending the night in a cat carrier away from the others and I will dispatch it tomorrow. It is the first one of the kits to display any symptoms, but I am sure there will be more. Of COURSE it is one of the largest, most nicely marked does....*sigh*

http://www.oneacrefarmrabbits.com
~A micro-attempt at self-sufficiency~

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,860.00

Re: First Sneezer of the bunch!

Post Number:#2  Unread postby fuzzy9 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:02 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this, it really sounded like things were going well. You were right to put it in quarantine. When my Cali doe got sick, one of her weanling kits next to her started sneezing too, and the whole lot of them went into quarantine with her. It's just so frustrating! :evil:
Geri

BunnyBucks: 2,299.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby ilovehome » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:14 pm

It's just so frustrating and heartbreaking! Hope things look up soon...
Broadway Stars Rabbitry
English Lops, Mini Lops, Giant Chinchillas and Beverens
http://www.broadwaystars2010.com

Site Admin
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,334.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby MaggieJ » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:58 am

Sorry to hear you've got a sneezer. You were right to get it out of there fast. Just hope the others have some immunity. :clover:
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

Post Number:#5  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:07 am

Well, I didn't figure I would get away with ALL of them being resistant...I am just going to watch very carefully and snatch out the sneezers as they pop up.

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 56,225.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Miss M » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:34 am

The litter we just sent to freezer camp had allergies. I never saw so much sneezing! The paws would look wet, but there was no white discharge. I'll be honest, I didn't look close enough to see if there was a clear discharge. I figured as long as I couldn't see it, it should be allergies, since their mother used to sneeze occasionally, and she's had kits before that sneezed some. No other symptoms ever cropped up, and it was mainly two or three of them that did the sneezing.

Is there a chance that it's allergies? I know you wouldn't likely want to save a doe with allergies for breeding, but you may still be able to grow her out for meat.

Hopefully, none of the others start up with the sneezing. :clover:
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

Post Number:#7  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:48 am

She is old enough and big enough to use for meat, 4lbs at 9 weeks. It was not just little "achoo" sneezing, she was making a barking noise...definitely NOT a normal sound. I will butcher her and see what her insides look like...

With this bunch, I am SURE it is not allergies. The moms all had Pasteurella and had to be culled. I have been watching and expecting to see this, so I was prepared for it to happen.

Hopefully, we will get at least a few that are resistant. Otherwise, I will be buying more rabbits.

Miss M wrote:The litter we just sent to freezer camp had allergies. I never saw so much sneezing! The paws would look wet, but there was no white discharge. I'll be honest, I didn't look close enough to see if there was a clear discharge. I figured as long as I couldn't see it, it should be allergies, since their mother used to sneeze occasionally, and she's had kits before that sneezed some. No other symptoms ever cropped up, and it was mainly two or three of them that did the sneezing.

Is there a chance that it's allergies? I know you wouldn't likely want to save a doe with allergies for breeding, but you may still be able to grow her out for meat.

Hopefully, none of the others start up with the sneezing. :clover:

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 387.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Lmannyr » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:28 pm

Any chance on video record the bark sneez?

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 3,072.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby TMTex » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:19 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your sneezer, OneAcreFarm. Hopefully, it'll be the only one. It's nice that it's big enough for the freezer though.
Steeplechase Rabbits

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 12,182.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby AmysMacdog » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:38 pm

Sorry to hear about the bunny sneezing. Got my fingers crossed that it will be the only one.

Post Number:#11  Unread postby Miss M » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:55 pm

Hey, I get to use it again! :P

- James Madison

Site Supporter
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 3,072.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby TMTex » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:16 pm

LOL! I didn't even look at the date. You got me, Lmannyr!
Steeplechase Rabbits

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#13  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:22 pm

Miss M wrote:Hey, I get to use it again! :P

Ba-ha-ha! I was going to PM you when I saw the date on the thread, but you are way ahead of me! :P

LOVE that "dead bunny".
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

Post Number:#14  Unread postby Miss M » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:28 pm

:D I aim to please!

By the way, feel free to use it yourself, if you like... that's why I stuck it in that particular gallery! :P

- James Madison

BunnyBucks: 807.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby DitchDoc » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:31 pm

:cry: Bless your heart, so sorry to hear that. Hopefully she will be the only one :(