First show Sat, and questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueHaven

Reaction score
One... I am a member of the Rex club, but do I need to be a member of the state rabbit club, or national club too?
can I join at the show?
Two... I am handling my doe three or four times a day, and she is pretty good, but some days are better than others.
Any tips are appreciated. I have another week to work with her.
Three. How worried do I need to be about her catching a bug? Do I drape her cage, or just stop being such a worry wart?
How do you limit their risk? Do you wipe them down after being handled by the judge or anything?
How long do I keep her apart from my other rabbits after a show to protect my other rabbits? I was wanting to
breed her pretty soon, and hate to wait to much longer, and she is near senior age. ;)

If you want to earn sweepstakes points, you need to be a member of the National Rex Rabbit Club. If you wish to be able to Grand a rabbit you need to be a member of ARBA.

BlueHaven":2amm31rt said:
can I join at the show?

Not usually. You can join online.

I am handling my doe three or four times a day, and she is pretty good, but some days are better than others.
Any tips are appreciated. I have another week to work with her.

Teach her to move into the hand on her head- NEVER allow her to backup. If she tries backing away, apply pressure on either side of her spine low on her hindquarters and allow her to "push through" the hand on her head. Then set her up again.

How worried do I need to be about her catching a bug? Do I drape her cage, or just stop being such a worry wart?

I only cover my rabbits at night if the show is multiple days.

When I attended my second show, there was an exhibitor that kept putting snotty nosed rabbits onto the table. I did not have a separate quarantine area in my barn. A bunch of my breeding rabbits ended up blowing snot in the next couple of weeks, and I probably culled about a dozen rabbits... which was about half my (adult) herd at the time. :(

In retrospect, I think it was actually a good thing... it got all of the weak animals out of my herd. I have never had another outbreak, and I still don't have a quarantine area for my show string.

Do you wipe them down after being handled by the judge or anything?

One Rex breeder I know mists them with Vanadine and water. I believe that Betadine is pretty much the same thing- just make a tea colored solution by mixing it with water.

How long do I keep her apart from my other rabbits after a show to protect my other rabbits?

That's up to you- the safest practice would be to quarantine her for thirty days, just as you would a new rabbit. But if you plan on doing a lot of showing, that isn't practical unless you have an area just for your show string.

I was wanting to breed her pretty soon, and hate to wait to much longer, and she is near senior age. ;)

Why not breed her before the show? Does look really good about two weeks into their pregnancy. Many exhibitors will show pregnant does, in fact. There is no rule prohibiting pregnant animals from being shown. Most will not show past the two week mark so as not to stress the doe unduly.

Bluehaven,
Will you be at the show in Lafayette?
If so, PM me, i will be there too. Not Rex rabbits, but I will be bringing a dozen and a half or so.

Great! Yes, Golden Prairie RBA show, I will be there. If you would like, pm me your cell number and I will give you mine. I can text you to let you know where we are set at, and, since it will be your first show, I would gladly help you in any way I can. I know I would have been lost had i not had a friend showing me the ropes at my first show.
That said, I don't show rabbits, my kids do and my wife does on occasion, I'm just there to carry cages and do all the running back and forth.

Gray's Cages will be at the Lafayette show! They were in Painesville last week with me, and their cages are reasonable!

Let me know if there is a jr. doe NZR broken being shown by the Gray's daughter; the name of the rabbit is Red Alert--she's one of mine!!

I will try to look out for it.
I knew Chris was going to be at the show, I have called him and K&D to see if they could bring a couple dues trays I need. K&D told me to call Chris, and he said he would call him and tell him to call me. Been a couple days and I still havent heard back. I hope he brings them. <br /><br /> __________ Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:06 am __________ <br /><br /> I should update, after my last post, Chris did end up calling back. He will have my trays at the show.

Also, started filling out all of the judges cards for the rabbits we are taking to the show.
Talk about writers cramp. Taking 15 mini lops and two californians. Two mini lops aren't being shown, so 13 mini lops that I had to fill out two cards each for (double show), two cards for each of the californians, and 10 mini lops had to have an additional card as they will be in the mini lop specialty show.

But, much rather do it all early than to have to fill them all out as soon as we get there tomorrow morning.

DBA":2ujt3jfv said:
Talk about writers cramp. Taking 15 mini lops and two californians. Two mini lops aren't being shown, so 13 mini lops that I had to fill out two cards each for (double show), two cards for each of the californians, and 10 mini lops had to have an additional card as they will be in the mini lop specialty show....
You know those little return address labels everybody and their brother sends you trying to get a handout? Keep them! :p Use them on your comment cards and it makes it much quicker to fill them out. :mrgreen:

I agree, problem is, those labels come in my name, my name doesn't go on the score cards though. My kids do all the showing.
But, i have some of those labels you print on the computer. Might have to make some up for each kid.

Be sure to bring food for yourself!!

I'm packing today for the Medina show tomorrow. Bring a chair too. My advice--got stake out a spot in the MIDDLE of the barn and build your spot outward towards the aisle!!! I got a spot of the end of the barn and I was lugging cages to the opposite end of the barn all day!!

DBA":3ndupoud said:
I agree, problem is, those labels come in my name, my name doesn't go on the score cards though. My kids do all the showing.
But, i have some of those labels you print on the computer. Might have to make some up for each kid.
Oops, forgot they were the ones showing. You're just they gofer. :p

EnglishSpot":3ndupoud said:

I'm packing today for the Medina show tomorrow. Bring a chair too. My advice--got stake out a spot in the MIDDLE of the barn and build your spot outward towards the aisle!!! I got a spot of the end of the barn and I was lugging cages to the opposite end of the barn all day!!
Yup, cooler full of goodies and a folding lawn chair make those long shows a lot easier.

alforddm":13nkxi56 said:
I had no intention of ever showing a rabbit when I got them...you guys are making me remember my FFA show days (many moons ago lol) and thinking maybe I should try it....
Oh come on. I'm over 60 and still go play with the pups.
Grant it, I don't travel like I use to for them but it's still kind of fun.

Hill! What hill? I don't remember any hill.
maison2.gif
"Make fun of my cane and I'll beat ya with it".

Homer":3uwkjcmz said:
DBA":3uwkjcmz said:
Oops, forgot they were the ones showing. You're just they gofer. :p

EnglishSpot":3uwkjcmz said:

Yup, cooler full of goodies and a folding lawn chair make those long shows a lot easier.

Yeah, I'm the gofer, and the banker....

And, oh yeah, sandwiches, bottled water, side dishes, chips, etc. Gotta have those.
And thanks for bringing up the cane. I will have to take mine incase I need it. Didn't have it at last show and by the end of the day I was wishing I had brought it.

I have been brushing her twice a day, and its a lot better, but her coat is still three shades of brown. How bad is this going to hurt her chances?

Honestly, that all depends on the judge and the competition.
One judge might judge hard against it, another might not fault it at all.

At a show this spring, a double show, we had a mini lop doe who placed 6th if I remember right out of 10 rabbits. Later that day, different judge, she placed first out of 16 in her class, and took BOSV, even beating the rabbit who took BOB in the first show.
It is all in the judges opinion and perception of the rabbit and how it compares to the standard.

Back