FIRST RABBIT!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMcNemar

Reaction score
Well it's official! I'm a proud bunny momma! I just brought home a beautiful tri mini rex buck. I haven't picked out his name yet, please feel free to throw suggestions at me! I took a few pictures but they're not very good. He was much more interested in munching on some hay than posing for my amusement. :lol:

I don't know how to post a picture in a thread, but I created a sub-album in my gallery called 'bunnies' if anyone wants to check it out and see him. I'd love to hear what you all think about him. He wasn't show quality, or the breeder would have kept him, but he's certainly pet quality. :D :bunnyhop:

Thank you! I sure thought he was a handsome boy. I was surprised at how easy it was to tell his gender. I picked him up and leaned him back, he was very chill about the whole thing. I didn't have to even press down, his testicles had dropped, so he's definitely a buck.

I picked up some more timothy hay from the pet store, so now I have two small bags of it. I'm hoping that's enough for at least a week or two. If not I'll have to get a large bale of hay next time to reduce costs. Well, I was really planning on getting a bale of hay next time anyway. I bought a 25 lb bag of pellets and a mineral salt lick as well. I stuffed some of his hay into an empty toilet paper roll for him to play with.

So far he's seemed content to hop around his cage a bit, sniffing everything, munching on hay, and occasionally digging at his bedding.

__________ Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:53 pm __________

Rabbit003.jpg

Rabbit002.jpg

Rabbit001.jpg
<br /><br />__________ Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:28 pm __________<br /><br />A couple more pictures. :)

Rabbit005.jpg

Rabbit006.jpg

Kizzy is such a cute name, too! I think it fits him. It sounds like "kissy", too, so may you have many bunny kisses in your future! :razz:

What a lovely little bun! Now, I am not an expert, but his fur does not look "rex" to me. A friend of mine breeds mini rex's and they have very short, very plush fur where you cannot see the individual hairs....are you sure he is Mini Rex?

That's what I was told he was. His fur is VERY soft. Softer than any other bunny I've ever felt. What does he look like to you? Maybe he's a rex cross? I'm not an expert on identifying breeds, I was told he was a rex, and that's all I know. Either way, he's adorable and sweet and I love him already.

Kizzy is a cute name! I was thinking he looked like a Beau or Roque...

I agree with the dutch mix. The mini rex I have seen had more of a plush, almost velvety feel...

He looks like a mismarked Dutch to me!
WAS THE PERSON YOU PURCHASED FROM A BREEDER
SPECIALIZING IN AN SPECIFIC BREEDS, or was it
someone just breeding to create Pet rabbits?
Did you get a Pedigree with your purchase?
Hmm, there may be no way of actually knowing
the genetic background of your new Buck,
but if you're happy with him, that is all that matters.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer: :bunnyhop:

I confess, my first thought when I saw the pic was "mismarked dutch", but I thought I'd wait and see what others said ;)

To be honest, and I'm ashamed to admit this, but I got him from the local pet store. Generally I won't buy animals from pet stores, however, our local pet store manager breeds his own fancy rats, his own fish, and his own cockatiels. He does not breed rabbits. However, he only gets his rabbits from a local 4-H breeder, who breeds for show quality and sells her pet quality bunnies to the pet store manager(only a couple at a time) and the rest to other pet bunny lovers. Maybe the breeder told him it was a Dutch, but he doesn't know a lot about rabbits, so when a few weeks ago I asked him about Mini Rex bunnies he thought that my mismarked Dutch was a Mini Rex. With me not knowing that much about rabbit breeds and genetics yet, I just assumed that it was a Rex because that's what he said it was.

Either way, I'm quite happy with him. He's a sweet boy, and Dutch rabbits are very nice too, even though I was originally wanting either a Mini Rex or a Holland Lop! :lol:

I'm going to call the pet store in an hour and see if I can't get the breeder's phone number. I'm really curious as to what my bunny is! I will love him either way, but I just want to know so bad now. lol

Back