Register

First litter!

Addressing the special needs of the breeding doe and her kits. Includes nutrition, gestation, nest boxes and materials, and tips to ensure survival of the young.
Site Supporter
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,446.00

Re: First litter!

Post Number:#16  Unread postby SixGun » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:58 pm

Sounds like you and they are doing good.
Getting weight on the mom, especially over the next few weeks is going to be your nutrition test.
Keep it up. They are so beautiful. I LOVE that Chinchilla!
~~Six Gun French Angoras~~

http://www.instagram.com/sixgunangoras

Site Supporter
Canada
BunnyBucks: 338.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby Ferra » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:29 pm

Today is officially 2 weeks old.

ACMD-Day14.jpg
ACMD-Day14.jpg (554.24 KiB) Viewed 42 times

- We have a mean weight of ~250g/kit.

- Almost everyone has had a completely uncomplicated "kithood" so far, except Blaze-kit, who managed to have some gluey nest box eyes today. Those were washed open again. That's why the poor little thing looks so sad in the photo above.

- I changed out the nest box material. I suspect in warmer climates, some people would be nearly ready to remove the next box already, but with the temperatures, I might have to leave it there until maybe 4 weeks or longer to allow a nice insulated place for huddling. So fresh bedding seemed like a good idea. I transferred as much clean fur as I could get my hands on, and topped up the straw insulation (mom, however, will probably snack on it.)

- Chill-chilla might need a new nickname. No longer is that bun chill, instead it is practicing all the hopping. So far, the little critter is up to 1x body length in enthusiastic half-binky length.

ACMD1-6.jpg
ACMD1-6.jpg (93.29 KiB) Viewed 42 times

- And then, Blaze might not be the color I thought s/he is. The fur tips are lighter, the lower portions of the hairs are growing in dark. I'm thinking blaze is a steel, but I'm kinda confused. Because I'm seeing some gold/light brown in the frosted tips, and that shouldn't be possible with a Cchd/c and c/c cross. I am perplexed.

ACMD4-6.jpg
ACMD4-6.jpg (73.49 KiB) Viewed 42 times

Then again, it could be the light... Hrm.

-- Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:29 pm --

It's week five for these guys. They've grown pretty well, I think. The average weight is 819g (1lb, 13oz), with the heavy weight being the Black Silver Martin kit (ACMD5) at 872 (1lb 15oz). My runt, ACMD3, aka TBI is at 758g, (1lb 11oz).

Although my plans for a "holdback" may have hit a screeching halt. An important element in keeping a replacement doe, is that you have to have a doe!

I've tried to guess the sexes on these guys, but don't have much experience yet. But I figured it should be doable around five weeks. So I watched a few YouTube videos to refresh my technique... and I was doing it wrong, apparently. It seems placing my fingers above and below the nethers, and then spreading my fingers in the head-to-tail direction on the rabbit was stretching out the area, making bucks look like does.

The YouTube video in question suggested putting two fingers on either side of the nethers, and then sliding both fingers up towards the head of the rabbit... This was much clearer. Also it helps that I did it inside, in good light.

With the new technique, I have 4 bucks... and my little 'runt' is my doe!

Not only did I count my chickens before they hatched, I started counting my as-yet-unhatched-chickens before I'd learned to tell a chicken egg from a goose egg... *sigh*

Site Supporter

Post Number:#18  Unread postby SixGun » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:45 pm

You have to have good light... especially at that age. And Yes, I hear ya. Inevitably the ones you want to keep back are the ones that dont conform to the sex plan. LOL! I kept back two does from this litter. At first I didnt think everyone was going to play along with my hopes, dreams and aspirations, but... so far so good.

Site Supporter
Canada
BunnyBucks: 338.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby Ferra » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:49 pm

SixGun wrote:You have to have good light... especially at that age. And Yes, I hear ya. Inevitably the ones you want to keep back are the ones that dont conform to the sex plan. LOL! I kept back two does from this litter. At first I didnt think everyone was going to play along with my hopes, dreams and aspirations, but... so far so good.

Such a shame... I was starting to get my heart set on my chinchilla-colored replacement doe. Oh well - I'll keep checking as they grow, but at least I got a dose of reality early(ish).

And there's always the next litter to look forward to. Which might arrive in two days from my second doe! :D I'm waiting on MOAR bun-lets!

Site Supporter

Post Number:#20  Unread postby SixGun » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:54 pm

That is exactly it, there is always the next litter. oh my ... two days! well, the best of luck to you. How exciting!!! Jealous too. I'm having the most difficult time deciding when to plan the next litter. It'll be sooner than later though. I know that!

Previous