first litter snafu...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illinoisguy

Reaction score
I started raising meat rabbits a month ago and the guy told me that one was bred. I did not plan properly since I saw no signs. Boom....8 kits in the cage. I moved them over to the nesting box and laid some grass in there as well. She goes in and out of the nesting box but tends to walk all over them. Is there anything I can do? Are kits resilient enough to handle the stomping? Is the only thing I can do is just wait it out?

THANKS

Chances are they will be okay, but it's painful to watch, isn't it?
You don't mention her pulling fur for the nest. Sometimes first-timers don't do this and it puts the kits at risk from chilling. You can encourage her to pull fur by gently plucking some from her tummy and dewlap. If that doesn't help, you can used teased cotton balls or batting, dryer lint or feathers from a pillow to give them something soft and warm. Hay, straw or wood shavings (not red cedar) would be better choices than fresh grass for nesting materials--warmer and more absorbent.

If she doesn't settle down and keeps stepping on the kits, you may want to consider removing the box of kits and just giving it to her morning and evening so she can nurse them, at least until she calms down. Most does don't feed their kits more than twice a day anyway. Be sure to keep the box somewhere safe, away from other animals.

Your doe may just be a little nervous--first-time momma jitters--and you may be making it worse if you are checking on her frequently. Short of removing the box, there really isn't any way I can think of to change the doe's behaviour. She may quit on her own once she is used to being a momma.

Are does normally careful around kits or are they tough little birds that they can handle a certain level of feet? <br /><br /> -- Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:13 am -- <br /><br /> Are does normally careful around kits or are they tough little birds that they can handle a certain level of feet?

Most of the does I've had were careful, but I remember one who landed on her kits a few times, with bloodcurdling screams from the babies. No one seemed injured, however, and they grew out just fine. A good layer of soft materials under and over the kits helps because if stepped on, they tend to sink into the bedding.

Most does are careful enough to not cause injury to their own, but does can injure or kill kits by trampling kits.

I also recommend removing the nest as Maggie J suggested, and giving her a little time to settle down. My favorite homemade nestbox filler is finely shredded unscented bathroom or nose tissue. The thick kind, hand torn to make sure the edges are rough. I like it because it's soft, absorbent, undesirable for a doe to eat, and will not tangle around kits feet. Thick, high end stuff is definitely better than the cheap stuff. :) I've seen pics of some gruesome injuries on kits limbs from tangling in polyfil.

If you decide to keep with the grass, make sure she has plenty of fresh grass in another part of the cage to eat. If the nestbox is the only source of a desirable food, it will encourage traffic in that area.

We checked on them this morning and momma had them surrounded by fur so she for now is doing her job....thanks all....

I have had some that were just a bit out of sync - I don't know if labor caught them off guard, or what (hey, it even happens to us humans!) but after a little while they settle in. I had to take 2 kits with me to VA for an overnight trip one time b/c the doe was still trying to make a nest (saw her digging around, then a flash of pink :x a few bruises on the kit, but otherwise OK). Once I got back she had it built, plus a couple more kits. I added the early birds to the batch and it was smooth sailing after that!

Back