First litter on the way, need some info fast...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidwestMatthew

Reaction score
One of our does is expecting her first (and our first) litter any time now. She's pulled some hair and is spotting just a bit. She was bred on May 23rd so she's just about on time.

So far, everything seems fine except that she hollowed out a nest right down to the wire bottom of the nesting box. Won't seem to abide any kind of padding there (pine shavings, hair, etc.) Is that OK? If not, what should we do about it?

Second, it's awfully hot here - our shaded and insulated rabbitry is around 90-98 degrees most afternoons lately. Is there anything special we need to do for the kits? I know they're born without fur, but still, that's just plain hot.

Any guidance on these (or other "first-timer" issues) would be much appreciated! :)

MidwestMatthew":3c3y0po7 said:
So far, everything seems fine except that she hollowed out a nest right down to the wire bottom of the nesting box. Won't seem to abide any kind of padding there (pine shavings, hair, etc.) Is that OK? If not, what should we do about it?
This depends on your climate. While during the day it's 90+ if it gets too cold in the evening (which I doubt but just a bit of info in case it applies) this could be a problem. In all honesty as long as the temp isn't dropping significantly and there isn't some sort of a cold draft, then the kits should be fine. They will move up and down under the fur and hay to self-regulate their temp as best as they can.
If it worries you too much, once the kits are born, slide some hay/hair/shavings under them. Or you could cut out some cardboard and put it in the bottom.

MidwestMatthew":3c3y0po7 said:
Second, it's awfully hot here - our shaded and insulated rabbitry is around 90-98 degrees most afternoons lately. Is there anything special we need to do for the kits? I know they're born without fur, but still, that's just plain hot.
You might want to consider bringing them inside during the day. The heat can get to the kits, and you should consider that they might overheat outside. You can bring the nest box out twice a day for feedings.

I am also in the midwest and looking at upper 90s for the next week or so and have had litters over the past summers when the heat was 100+ for days on end.

I also use wooden nest boxes which helps as I bring the newborns in to the house and take them out for feeding 2x per day for only the first 3-4 days, then only once per day after that. Usually when I am watering in the morning ... by the time I am done with that, the kits are done nursing.

I also move my does to a runout pen during the summer as they do much better in the heat when they can move around and dig a bit for cooler soil. This also means that I have to catch the does each day, so training them to come to hand for a treat helps a lot!

I also move the litters out to a cage permanently when they have had their eyes open for a full week.

My cages are in hutches that holds 2 cages per ... the back side of the hutch is closed with tyvek feed bags stapled to the wooden frame with a piece of cattle panel to hold the cages and still let waste drop through. They are also situated under and around a large shade tree, and I wet under the cages each morning to help with air movement.

Latest posts

Back