First attempt at nest boxes.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wamplercathy

Reaction score
So I breed Tartar a couple of weeks ago and Cumin fell off. So figures crossed we should have babies around Aug 5-8. Coconut, on the other hand, is proving to be difficult, :evil: playing very coy. :lol:

Anyways I got this pattern off of pinterest. http://www.thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-eq ... wood-plan/
Materials needed:
-1 4'x8' sheet of 3/4'' plywood
-An electric rotary saw (table saw is very handy)
-A screwdriver or drill (recommended)
-A hammer,
-Pliers.
-120 screws (we used #10, 1-3/4″, but other sizes will work)
-fence staples
-1/2″ x 1″ (or 1/2″ x 1/2″) metal wire mesh
-sandpaper if you have rough edges
This makes 10 nest boxes at 16''L x 10'' W x 8'' w/ a 3 1/2'' front.

There is a nice graphic picture that shows how to cut the sheet of plywood so there is almost no waste.

001 (600x450).jpg
We were given a 4'x8' of particle board.
002 (600x450).jpg
007 (600x450).jpg
The floor is 1 x 1/2 cut to 19'' x 12''. We cut it larger so it would rap around for extra strength.
005 (600x450).jpg

Total Cost for 10 nest boxes:
wood=0
Left over wire=0
Screws=$9.32
Staples (9/16 for the staple gun)= $3
12.32/10=1.23 per box
If I paid for the wood (about $8) and a roll of wire ($20)=40.32/10= 4.03 per box.

We only put together 2 boxes, because the pieces are easier to store then the boxes put together.

Average cost from https://www.kwcages.com/rabbit-nest-box.html
$15.45 or $13.99 if you buy 6 or more.

As for the time spent, well I'm calking it up to good quality time with my hubby and our saw. :p :lol: :lol:

Good job. the only thing that beats "quality" time is "productive" time!
Do you have any concerns about the buns gnawing on the wood and consuming the glues in that particle board?

Rabbitdog":2l46qc8p said:
Do you have any concerns about the buns gnawing on the wood and consuming the glues in that particle board?

I don't think it will be an issue. I know they'll chew it some, but I hope not enough to cause any harm. Plus the 2 does I have are not big chewers. On the other hand the buck loves to chew, but he's not getting a nest box. :x :lol: :lol: :lol:

If anyone has any experience with particle board and rabbits please share your thoughts?

wamplercathy":21dsxpm8 said:
Rabbitdog":21dsxpm8 said:

I don't think it will be an issue. I know they'll chew it some, but I hope not enough to cause any harm. Plus the 2 does I have are not big chewers. On the other hand the buck loves to chew, but he's not getting a nest box. :x :lol: :lol: :lol:

If anyone has any experience with particle board and rabbits please share your thoughts?
Rabbitdog":21dsxpm8 said:
Good job. the only thing that beats "quality" time is "productive" time!

They'll be fine............I've used them for years.
BTW: That's OSB....not particle board.
I'd worry about particle board because moisture
degrades them rapidly.

Thanks Grumpy. I'm not a wood connoisseur :p :lol: :lol: I'm glad that we won't have to start over. :lol: :lol: We made all the cuts with a circular saw. Maybe I should let hubby get a table saw again. :x :lol: :lol:

Nice boxes!

One thing you might want to consider if you have any scrap wood left is adding a one or two inch piece across the front at the same angle as the sides as a "baby scraper". Basically a lip to hopefully keep a doe from dragging kits out.

Marinea":2w4qy9vu said:
Nice boxes!

One thing you might want to consider if you have any scrap wood left is adding a one or two inch piece across the front at the same angle as the sides as a "baby scraper". Basically a lip to hopefully keep a doe from dragging kits out.

:shock: :? I thought that rabbits didn't move their kits around like a dog or cat would?

Do you mean while they are giving birth? :?

Here's a picture of the box without the top or the floor.
003 (600x450).jpg

Is a 3 1/2" front not tall enough? <br /><br /> -- Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:20 pm -- <br /><br /> Now me and my daughter are arguing about the square footage of the floor in the box. :x

A=L*W So the square footage would be 15''*9''=135''/12" in a foot= 11.25'. :?:

Does that sound right to yall.

sometimes when exiting the box, a baby on the teat gets caught and dragged out of the nest.

Marinea":37jva513 said:
Nice boxes!

We do that too! I put it on there with one screw on each side, then take it off when the kits are about 2-1/2 weeks and have had their eyes open for a bit. It also keeps them from getting lost and not back into the nest box where our doe will feed them.

Hey, so what are you going to do with all those other nest boxes since you don't have that many does?

wamplercathy":cs7hyjwr said:
Thanks Grumpy. I'm not a wood connoisseur :p :lol: :lol: I'm glad that we won't have to start over. :lol: :lol: We made all the cuts with a circular saw. Maybe I should let hubby get a table saw again. :x :lol: :lol:

Stick with the circular saw!! I have a table saw and made all my boxes with it--it's a pain.

May I ask what the purpose of the roof is? I've been using cardboard boxes for my does, for the first 4 litters and they didn't have a top on them. I do have one doe that loves to chew through the cardboard though, so I made a plywood box for her yesterday, (she's due today!!). I did not put a top on it though, but if it helps somehow, I have enough plywood to make one.

Thanks for your inputs!!

lereg15":111pclk8 said:
May I ask what the purpose of the roof is? I've been using cardboard boxes for my does, for the first 4 litters and they didn't have a top on them. I do have one doe that loves to chew through the cardboard though, so I made a plywood box for her yesterday, (she's due today!!). I did not put a top on it though, but if it helps somehow, I have enough plywood to make one.

Thanks for your inputs!!

I have no real idea. :shrug: The design just had a top on it. http://www.thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-eq ... wood-plan/

Found it on pinterest. But with my cages the does have a shelf they can lay on and if they poop then the lid keeps it from falling into the nest. I had one box in place because I thought one of my does was prego. But I was mistaken. :oops:

In some of my reading it is said to provide a place for the does to get away from their rug-rats, but that is what I put the shelf in for. Could be to make a little cove for the little ones. Maybe block the wind. <br /><br /> -- Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:10 pm -- <br /><br />
jimmywalt":111pclk8 said:
Marinea":111pclk8 said:
Hey, so what are you going to do with all those other nest boxes since you don't have that many does?

Have the pieces stacked neatly away in my office/animal containment area. :lol: They fit perfectly in a corner. I put them in a garbage bag so I don't have to worry about mice getting on them. :x

Living in the country has it's pros and cons. Mice are a big con. :lol: :lol:

The top serves several functions, but is not absolutely essential. :)

It provides a shelf for the doe.
Climbing space for kits.
Protection for the kits early on, from the doe hopping in. With the top, if the nest is under it in the back, she's less likely to jump on top of them.
In winter, it helps keep the warmth in.

3 1/2" for the front is a little low for kits. Put in a bed of hay, and they can practically roll out. Put a 2" or so baby scraper on it, and it shouldn't be an issue. :)

I'm so thankful this post popped up earlier this evening! About midday I was intending to prep nests for my does who are due, but then got distracted. :oops:

When I popped onto RT a couple of hours ago and saw this in the active threads, it reminded me that I hadn't done so. :x I potentially have seven Satin litters on the way, so a major catastrophe was averted! :bow:

RT to the rescue once again!!! :p

We, as always, aim to be helpful. :p :lol: :lol: Glad you averted a disaster. :lol: :lol:

Have the does popped yet? :?

Thanks all!! I will add the top and a baby guard as soon as I can!! My problem now is that my doe will be kindling any minute now. She always seems like she's a few hours after my other one, for whatever reason. I checked on them this morning, and the other doe had a litter of 10, rabbitosis in affect!!

I started this thing so my granddaughter could have a pet, and now I'm up to 50...somehow.

Glad I decided to ask the question, MSD!!

wamplercathy":18ih24ke said:
:p :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was hoping to be able to sell a lot of them, but it's not working out that well, so far. Everybody wants some, but nobody wants to do anything to get ready to buy them, for whatever reasons they may have.

On the other hand, about 2 months ago, we bought a small deep freezer that only has water bottles in it, well, some of my MIL's food there too. She'll be leaving soon so there will be more room!!

Oh, and by the way, it's Not funny, :D

Yes, yes it is. My hubby is going to kill me once mine start pop little ones out. :twisted: I brought up the idea of getting pigs and have been doing a lot of :reading1: Now he is all for allowing me to have all the room I need for "RABBITS" just NO PIGS.

:mrgreen: My plan is working out very well, so far. :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Back