First Angora fiber harvest for me...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenora C

Reaction score
I have started to pluck my REW. Bag on the right is just fiber I collected out of the brush over the month I have had them. They are over 13 wks now. The bag on the left is from the plucking I did tonight. I still have 1/3 left to pluck. Very excited to see how much I get the first time.
I do not spin. I knit and crochet. I love bunnies but want to sell the fiber to spinners. Do I have to prepare the fiber in any way or can I sell it raw? Any tips appreciated.

Attachments

• 2013-08-13 19.57.15.jpg
    2013-08-13 19.57.15.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 941
No preparation is needed. Some will tell you not to spin the first coat, but I did anyway, but I didn't take it off my buns till they were six months old, so that may have affected the density of the fiber I got.

What she said. I prefer to spin from a cloud too unless I blend it, which rarely happens. I have a friend who won't spin it straight. Either way, spinners will know what to do with it when they get it<br /><br />__________ Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:17 pm __________<br /><br />OH! And FYI, angora can mat easily off the rabbit too, so plastic baggies work, but boxes are better. Moving the bags around and the static electricity that the bags give off will easily felt the fibers. Mine lives in 6 qt plastic shoe boxes, which works great if you only have one molt at a time, but after the second and third the fiber kind of tries to eat you when you open the box. (Need to invest in larger boxes, but upgrading my rabbit housing is eating up my extra funds at the moment...)

Having recently looked at some Etsy shops whose owners *said* they sold Angora (only to find that they were either "Out of Stock" or their shop pages were absolutely blank), I'll make the radical suggestion of...simple honesty.

Just advertise/announce your fiber as "raw Angora, as the rabbit gave it to me," or words to that effect. Most places seem to be selling it by the ounce (maybe in Canada, in 25-gram lots?). Make sure that your price is for the fiber only, and that postage/shipping is a separate cost.

I'm interested to know, since you knit and crochet: did the thought of having a spinner spin some for *you* occur to you? Or are you trying to earn back some of the initial bunny expense before going in that direction?

(I have no bunny yet, but will be attending some upcoming fairs/shows to decide which kind of Angora I prefer. What did you decide on, and what factors pushed you in that specific direction?)

Looks absolutely beautiful!!! :)

I store mine in those plastic popcorn containers. I have plenty of those from popcorn adventures in school. I do have a bit in plastic bags, but it doesn't stay very long. I prefer brown paper bags.

:congratulations: Lenora, but sadly, I cannot see your photos in any of the threads you have posted them in :(

However, I imagine you feel really swell after raising your bun, then harvesting the first coat! Even if you don't spin, I agree with DGM that you can contact a local spinner to spin it for you ... in fact, you will probably be able to trade fiber for the spinning :p I know when I have "extra" angora, my local spinning friends just about fall over when I just give it to them :cheesysmile:

AnnClaire":dro2rr7e said:
I know when I have "extra" angora, my local spinning friends just about fall over when I just give it to them :cheesysmile:

That's because it oh so cuddly!!!! I wish I had enough cage space that I could raise enough to ONLY spin angora :)

PSFAngoras":1zlquisx said:
AnnClaire":1zlquisx said:
I know when I have "extra" angora, my local spinning friends just about fall over when I just give it to them :cheesysmile:

That's because it oh so cuddly!!!! I wish I had enough cage space that I could raise enough to ONLY spin angora :)
Raising them is addictive. I want another :) I was looking for a rescue...the look on hubby's face :? when I mentioned it...
I have only finished harvest of my REW. Just started my Blue boy last night.

ATTACHING before and after photos of the REW. NOTE:using plastic containers now. Thanks! The left plastic container is the beginning harvest of my Blue Boy :D

Attachments

• 2013-07-30 15.47.39.jpg
    2013-07-30 15.47.39.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 910
  • 2013-08-14 15.36.46.jpg
    2013-08-14 15.36.46.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 910
  • 2013-08-15 07.34.06a.jpg
    2013-08-15 07.34.06a.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 910
Lenora C":1tzoqsw2 said:
Raising them is addictive. I want another :) I was looking for a rescue...the look on hubby's face :? when I mentioned it... :D

Mine's given up. He just accepts that I do what I want with the bunnies, and he only has to deal with them maybe 2 weekends a year, so he's learned to be okay with it! ;)

Back