Fireflies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marian

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed a decrease if not total absence of fireflies? This is the second year they have failed to make an appearance here :( . I know that they are declining world-wide but I was kind of hoping it wouldn't happen here.

We have fireflies here! The kids caught a bunch in a jar a couple months ago. I'm sure they've been around plenty more... we just don't tend to be outside when they are out and flashing, because that's when the mosquitoes are out biting! :x

Aww, I've never seen one. Some people wanna go see the Statue of Liberty or the Grand Canyon--I'd settle for a trip to see fireflies before I die! Seems kinda silly though. There oughta be another reason for driving that far...

There not declining here atleast it dont look like it. My family goes lighting bug hunting weekly. There are lots of them we do the catch release so we can catch them a different night. About 2 weeks ago dd announced that she is to old to go lighting bug hunting anymore lol. I know by next yr she will be going crazy waiting for them to come back

Fireflies always remind me of my Dad's stories about when he was a kid back in the 1930's. He used to collect a jar of them and read under the covers by their light. When that palled, he released them in the bedroom of his mother's oldest friend, who was visiting. "Aunt Lena" had glow-in-the-dark ceiling decorations decades before they became popular for children's bedrooms. :D

Lots here this summer. I love fireflies. :)

A few years ago, a friend and I were driving home from our boarding stable and were passing a conservation area. We noticed a lot of fireflies in the woods along the side of the road. Then we came to a laneway cut through the woods. There were so many fireflies, that lane was lit up like Broadway! I've never seen anything like it.

I also would love to see fireflies. Someday I plan on visiting an area they are plentiful, and maybe camping or something, with the kiddos :)

eco2pia":3quimvit said:
good idea--maybe I shouldn't put this off after all, DD is turning 14 this year...
Perfect age for a firefly trip!

...or, as they are still called around here, at least be some, lightning bugs!

My DD turns 14 in a week and a half. Un-be-liev-a-ble. :D

Now, where should I go? Any tips from those of you in firefly country--for next year, I'm not THAT spur of the moment! What else can we do there? (how do I sell this to my husband... fisherman/scuba diver)

Ahh I haven't seen fireflys in years..... but where I am now there is a huge bat population so I guess the fireflys either don't live here (or not for long) or fly "dark" LOL. BUT something else I noticed this year.... NO JUNEBUGS??!! not a one.

We had almost no Junebugs here, either. They seem to have about a seven year cycle... Guess this year is the low point. I can live with that.

We have lots of bats here too, but they don't seem to affect the firefly population. Maybe ours don't like food that glows in the dark! :D

I inadvertently picked up a huge preying mantis yesterday when gathering greens. We were both very surprised! We get lots of them here. And the cicadas - we used to call them "heat bugs" when we were kids - are singing up a storm. Ugly suckers if you see them up close! We get lots of the little crab spiders in our flowers... It is so cool to watch them change colour when they move from one flower to another. We don't get as many Monarch butterflies as we used to :( but we see lots of yellow swallowtails, red admirals, mourning cloaks and anglewings etc.

I think most of the Midwest US has fireflies (though for us country boys they are known as "lightning bugs")....always have had them where I have lived in Illinois and Missouri. I am not sure what they eat, but we have always seen them around "Queen Anne's Lace" during the day ( I think other people call it wild carrot)

We have a ton of Queen Anne's Lace here. So maybe they just don't live right here although as a teen we had them at the farm which is actually not very far from me now! We do have a lot of cicadas buzzing up a storm here though! And the crickets!!!! omg how loud can they get??!!

Crickets! We have one in the house that is driving me nuts! How can one cricket be that loud? I wish Marilla :benice: would hurry up and hunt it down... but the humid weather is making her lazy.

I haven't paid much attention this year but last year was the most fire flies I've ever seen. You couldn't drive down the highway after dark without your whole windshield glowing from flattened bugs and the fields along the road were coated in them. I find it hard to believe the population is declining except in certain areas. They seem to be doing better than ever in Iowa.

eco2pia":2nr9n003 said:
Now, where should I go? Any tips from those of you in firefly country--for next year, I'm not THAT spur of the moment! What else can we do there? (how do I sell this to my husband... fisherman/scuba diver)
Well, Louisiana is known as the Sportsman's Paradise... yes, we have the oil spill, but that has not affected most of Louisiana. :)<br /><br />__________ Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:31 pm __________<br /><br />
akane":2nr9n003 said:
I haven't paid much attention this year but last year was the most fire flies I've ever seen. You couldn't drive down the highway after dark without your whole windshield glowing from flattened bugs and the fields along the road were coated in them. I find it hard to believe the population is declining except in certain areas. They seem to be doing better than ever in Iowa.
That is quite a sight to have a glowing car, isn't it! :lol:

Latest posts

Back