Fire in Marion, NC

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So you guys mat have heard of the forest fires starting in Asheville, NC... Apparently they are getting pretty close to where I am now, in Marion,NC down Buck Creek.

I'm curious as to whether or not anyone else is getting smoked and what if anything I should do for my rabbits. They are all outside and there is no way the could be more than moved to a somewhat smokeless space (Inside the back half of the goat room, there was some smoke back there yesterday but not nearly as much as outside.

(Sorry for all the edits, I'm attempting to type all this up on a cheap, little tablet and its not wanting to work with me lol

Its still got quite a ways before it hits me, so I can only hope that it won't. If it does, I don't know what we are going to do... We have 7 dogs, 3 cats, some 50+ Chickens, all the rabbits, and two goats. I myself would probably be driving my car with loads of bunnies to anywhere safe. I mean if I had to I would take the ones I'm closest too, which would be a hard decision when it comes to that...

ButtonsPalace":hyoq4jif said:
Its still got quite a ways before it hits me, so I can only hope that it won't.

Hi Buttons,

I live out in California, in an area that is frequently hit by wildfires that range from 10 acres to 300,000 acres... as someone with a little experience in the matter, please do yourself and your family a favor and start planning exactly what you are going to do if the fire turns your way. All it takes is a small shift in the wind.

Take a look at the cages/kennels/cat carriers you have or can borrow and calculate how many animals you can fit in your car (it's ok to play a bit of Tetris to get as many in there as possible). Then make a written list of the animals you will put in those carriers. I say this because when the moment comes, you do not want to waste precious minutes hemming and hawing between which animals you are willing to leave behind. It's going to hurt putting those names to paper, knowing you might leave some animals behind, but it may save the rest. My personal advice would be to take your best breeding pairs or trios and then figure out if you've got space left for more.

If the fire does turn your way, get packing. Take as much water as you can, some food for yourselves and the animals, and some clothes. Make sure all important documents (passports, vehicle titles, birth certificates, etc.) are packed and ready to go.

I don't want to scare you, and I am right there with everyone else praying the fires get contained and put out, but always plan for the worst. I hope your home is spared.

As for trying to inhibit the smoke from bothering your bunnies, see if you can find some lengths of burlap or breathable fabric to wrap around the wire on the cages. Spray it with a little water so it's just slightly damp (not dripping, squeeze out as much water as you can if it's soaked), and loosely cover as much of the cages as you can. The fabric will dilute the smoke a little bit. It's not a great or long-term solution, but if the smoke is particularly bad, it may help for a little while. This only works if the smoke is settling, though (coming in from far off and sinking, not coming up from below the cages). Best of luck!

Nymphadora":34dhx1q0 said:
ButtonsPalace":34dhx1q0 said:
Its still got quite a ways before it hits me, so I can only hope that it won't.

Hi Buttons,

I live out in California, in an area that is frequently hit by wildfires that range from 10 acres to 300,000 acres... as someone with a little experience in the matter, please do yourself and your family a favor and start planning exactly what you are going to do if the fire turns your way. All it takes is a small shift in the wind.

Take a look at the cages/kennels/cat carriers you have or can borrow and calculate how many animals you can fit in your car (it's ok to play a bit of Tetris to get as many in there as possible). Then make a written list of the animals you will put in those carriers. I say this because when the moment comes, you do not want to waste precious minutes hemming and hawing between which animals you are willing to leave behind. It's going to hurt putting those names to paper, knowing you might leave some animals behind, but it may save the rest. My personal advice would be to take your best breeding pairs or trios and then figure out if you've got space left for more.

If the fire does turn your way, get packing. Take as much water as you can, some food for yourselves and the animals, and some clothes. Make sure all important documents (passports, vehicle titles, birth certificates, etc.) are packed and ready to go.

I don't want to scare you, and I am right there with everyone else praying the fires get contained and put out, but always plan for the worst. I hope your home is spared.

As for trying to inhibit the smoke from bothering your bunnies, see if you can find some lengths of burlap or breathable fabric to wrap around the wire on the cages. Spray it with a little water so it's just slightly damp (not dripping, squeeze out as much water as you can if it's soaked), and loosely cover as much of the cages as you can. The fabric will dilute the smoke a little bit. It's not a great or long-term solution, but if the smoke is particularly bad, it may help for a little while. This only works if the smoke is settling, though (coming in from far off and sinking, not coming up from below the cages). Best of luck!

Nymphadora
You have made a valid point for everyone.

Maybe it is time we all made an evacuation plan for our critters?
Who knows and it is much better to be prepared!

I know I would be hard pressed to make decisions. I talked to someone who's close friends were evacuated with the fires in Alberta this summer.... she was saying the most ridiculous things were put in the car, because there wasn't a plan!

You hear survivalists talking about a bug out bag.... Really, it is a plan in the event of evacuation. What is important enough that you have to have it.... Even if you just make a list while you have time to think.. so when you don't have time to think, you can get everything you need.

Just a thought.

Tough choices Buttons, but I am sure you can have a list for "just in case" ready.
I know I was thinking about needing to get one or two of those carriers they sell at the rabbit shows..... now I know I will need them if I need to be evacuated!

I'm pretty sure if I got them all right I could move all my rabbits, big issue is I can't ever guarantee use of pet carriers although if I needed I could and would be asking for help via a email list sent out to a bunch of locals. Very kind helpful people. If I had to I would give any rabbits I couldn't find a place for a new home. I will definitely be writing out a POA soon just in case, even if the fire doesn't hit us it doesn't mean other things can't/won't happen..

Also on a positive side note the smoke has retreated so I can only assume it's going out or possibly retreating

I'm glad it sounds to be getting better in your neck of the woods. :)

DH is a firefighter, so any fires I hear about instantly put me in alert-mode. He's made sure I know what to do if he's ever called in for a big one and I'm home alone. :oops:

The smoke has almost completely cleared up now so thankfully no evacuation, I'm not sure whether it's out or not but its definitely cleared up. Thank you guys for all the advice and when I have a moment I'll be writing out a JIC bug out plan kinda deal, make sure I am my rabbits will be prepared

Latest posts

Back