Fire at my house last night

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajharris

Reaction score
Last night, I kept smelling something like burning wires in my bedroom. My kids were at my moms and my husband was at work. I felt of all the walls and none of them were hot. I unplugged everything and opened the window to let some of the stink out. When my husband got home I asked him if he could smell something burning and he said no. He chalked it up to pregnancy and my sense of smell being off. When he decided to take a shower, the house filled with black smoke. He was looking for the problem on the inside of the house, while I checked the outside. I walked around our trailer and noticed smoke coming from where the water heater was. I looked up and flames were coming out of the vent. Our water heater had caught a fire. We were lucky enough to get the fire out before the house went up in flames. No one was hurt and the only thing lost was the water heater. It was very scary. I was worried about being homeless. I praise God that He was looking after us.

Amanda

It was scary. I have no idea why men can't smell stuff like that. We stayed up till about 5 this morning to make sure we had it out. Better safe than sorry.

oh, gosh, that must have been terrifying. thank god for your sense of smell. although i imagine with the black smoke you would have figured it out. so glad you are safe.

(I've noticed that men never seem to notice
when something smells wrong. Why is that?) [Maggie]

Well Maggie: It's a Guy thing!
I believe we just don't seem to pay as much attention to those details.

Amanda, I am glad everything turned out OK and no one was hurt.
Ottersatin.

Oh lordy! But you're all safe and sound. Do you know WHY the water heater caught fire? wiring? is there maybe a faulty fuse or wiring there? check it all out to be certain nothing is going to happen there again.

oh my...So thankful that your little pregnant nose caught that scent!

Ann, it is propane water heater. I have no idea why it caught fire. All the insulation is gone in it. I just have no idea why.

ottersatin":20fp38of said:
:lol:

I remember asking Shay if he smelled something like garlic near the stove one night many years ago. He didn't smell anything. A little while later, I insisted I could smell something, so he investigated. The oven pilot was out, and the stove pilots were almost out. When we couldn't keep the pilots lit, we had to call the gas company. Turned out our propane line was almost frozen.

Then he went into maintenance, and became much more perceptive of smells. :D

ajharris":20fp38of said:
Ann, it is propane water heater. I have no idea why it caught fire. All the insulation is gone in it. I just have no idea why.
I am so glad y'all are safe, and also that you didn't lose your home! I have no idea what would cause the thing to catch fire. :(

ottersatin":3cs30b2i said:

I read somewhere that women's noses, particularly during the child bearing years, get dramatically more sensitive. I suppose that might be a protective thing, but whenever I was laid low by morning sickness it seemed more of a curse! :?

In certian circles I wondered if men's dead noses were a form of self defense against their own feet... :lol:

It wouldn't surprise me if women's sensitivity to smells is a protective thing... probably goes back to ancient times... but gee, sure makes you wonder about "man the hunter" if he can't use his nose to better advantage now. :roll:

I"m glad you're ok, that's pretty scary! The thing I fear most is fire and if my house burned down it would be devastating. After I leave the house I"m always asking myself "Did I turn the stove off?" or "I hope I didn't leave the dryer on!".

I hope you can get a good deal on a new water heater.

So glad you are safe and not homeless. I hope you get the hot water back on soon too.

Oh Heavens indeed

so glad you and your family and house is ok

thank heavens you didn't decide it was nothing and ignore that sense you had :)

Back