Fire Ants!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh ok. I count it as a blessing then :) sorry to all of you who have to put up with them.

MamaSheepdog":169y82sf said:
Jessykah":169y82sf said:
But that may attract predators right?

Not if it's a petroleum based grease.

How about that sticky goo sold to put around tree trunks to keep ants out of them?

I was also concerned about what else might get stuck in the grease. yuck. Better that then finding one of my buns eaten by fireants...now that would be more than just yuck!

I do believe it is the sticky goo stuff for fruit trees that they are talking about.

This is going to sound far-fetched, but here goes anyway:

If you have a dog that is on heartworm preventative, locate the fire ant mound(s), then police up the dog's feces. Place the feces on top of the mound(s) and continue doing so for about a week. You should begin to see a sharp decrease in activity in and around the mound.

I did this on several occasions while living in NW Florida, and all I can tell you is that worked in getting rid of some very large and deep fire ant colonies.

SatinsRule":2lfqwghf said:
If you have a dog that is on heartworm preventative, locate the fire ant mound(s), then police up the dog's feces.

I bet it works! It must be the ivermectin and pyrantal pamoate being passed in the feces. I bet putting a little bit of wormer out for the little red devils to eat would work as well!

What a great tip, Satin'sRule!

I forgot that one!!! A fire ant bite-- just a single bite-- will haunt a person for a very long time if it gets infected. Keeping WitchHazel on hand for insect bites is a good idea-- it really helps kill the burn and draw out some of the toxin---

Frosted Rabbits":3ds8t58e said:
I forgot that one!!! A fire ant bite-- just a single bite-- will haunt a person for a very long time if it gets infected. Keeping WitchHazel on hand for insect bites is a good idea-- it really helps kill the burn and draw out some of the toxin---

You can also pour a little bleach on the bite. The sting stops right away.

I once had a fire ant bite on my toe that hurt off and on for literally YEARS!! I've found that putting mud or moist soil on the bite right away helps immensely. Another thing I've done with good success is to make a poultice of baking soda and water and plaster it on the bite.

Today I was at the home improvement store and saw a lawn product that had fertilizer, weed killer, and fire ant killer all in the same bag.

Wet tobacco brings very fast relief to a fire ant bite, as well.

To tell you the truth, fire ants can be so aggressive, I would not hesitate to put Amdro out around the outside of the bunny barn, as long as you do not use weeds that grow there to feed the buns for a very, very long time.

If you cannot find the mound, Amdro is the best solution.

If you can find the mound, some of the above treatments might be helpful. But something to consider would be finding another nearby fire ant mound. QUICKLY take a good shovelful of one and put it in the other mound, and take a shovelful of that one and put it in the first mound. Then sit back with lemonade and watch them destroy each other! :twisted:

Fire ants from different colonies hate each other. You want the second mound to be more than a few feet away, though, as you want to make sure it is actually another colony you're dealing with.

I use a poultice of baking soda and vinegar on any sting or bite- it immediately lessens the pain. A bee or wasp sting still hurts a little, but there is a HUGE difference in the pain level.

I've got several good fire ant stories, not to steal the thread, but....

Turkey season 2 years ago. I went down to the club in SC where I kept a small run down Terry Camper circa ?. Let's just say it was old. It was the first time I'd been down since deer season the previous year and I'd gotten down late. I made the bed amd checked everything out. Move forward to about 2 a.m., something is crawling on my foot, I scratch it with my other foot, but the sensation doesn't go away. Finally, I turn the light on and CRRRRRRaaaap :p there are ants everywhere. :evil: Needless to say, I didn't sleep in there the remainder of the night and the next day gave it a thorough spraying. Still gives me the willies to think about it. I hate ANTS.

I have noticed that hot dry weather seems to bring them inside more -- looking for moisture maybe and it had been an unusually hot spring.

Same hunt club - deer season. My son takes a drink with him to his stand. a ground blind. Put drink to his lips a little later and wonders why the fuzzy feeling on the lip of the can. :t_oops: You guessed it. He hates ANTS too.

My wife hates ants in general and says if fire ants ever get up to where we live, she doesn't care what I do, she's moving. They're about 50-60 miles south last I heard. Hmmmm. :lol: Kids are all gone now, and she might be too. :cry:

Another bite remedy is a paste made of meat tenderizer ... doesn't matter what kind, it neutralizes the proteins in the bite that are irritating you. Works for bee and wasp stings, too.

Back