Finishing Food?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
Does anybody use a finishing food? I don't know if this is something my friend just wanted me to ask or if it's a legit thing? If it's not then what my question is, is basically does anyone feed a special feed before culling for taste? If you do what do you prefer?

Changing up the diet on growing fryers is pretty much a recipe for disaster. Even a seemingly minor, non lethal gi disturbance can cost a meat breeder weeks of growth.

I've seen a few cases now where a breeder tried introducing a lot of corn or starchy grain around 6-12 weeks to "fatten them up," and ended up with very sick or dead kits.

I do slowly introduce more green foods as they age though. With the hope that fresh greens fed bunnies are more flavorful then pellet-only rabbits, much like free range eggs are more tasty.

See it seemed like I heard that before and I told him that as well I heard it on one of the youtube homesteader's rabbitry videos sadly I can't remember which... Well he wants to know if there is a good food to help them get bigger faster. I'd google all this but ya'll know more. He also asks if there is a recommended like type or brand or anything. *I live with my boyfriend and another family... So I'm not asking this for myself. I wanna breed rabbits, etc. but this is his ?'s we're trying to figure out the best way*

When kits reach fryer age and are already undersized, it's usually too late to really change much. I'd normally just accept a time-loss on that batch and try to improve conditions for the next litter.
IMO, optimum digestion is what leads to optimum growth.
Instead of getting more calories into them, I like making things ideal to allow them to take the most out of what they are getting.

Clean food and water, and a low stress environment. Plenty of the right kinds of fiber. Good parasite control. Good genetics. Any balanced 16-18% protein food that works for you, preferably one with a dedicated ingredient list. Ask breeders in the area what feeds get results.

I will get that kind of feed and I only have one doe with any issues and her back is pretty messed up from being housed with a buck plus she was a bit underweight and has mites. The mites however I've been killing off naturally with an oil blend. The buck has pulled a bunch of her back fur out and bit her several times when I got her there were red sores and bite marks. Since putting a home made plantain salve my boyfriends mom made *All natural* and her back looks SO much better :eek:fftopic3: . Ok so back on to topic. I kinda wanna do the fodders with the different hay and grasses with some pellets. I think it might make it a bit better maybe? Who knows guess I'll find out XD. I don't have any babies yet. Yet being the keyword seeing as I believe I have two pregnant does *They are acting different and getting a bit round in the back hip area as well as being more aggressive. I free feed and I check food and water 3x per day when I can but there's always someone home that could do it for me even if I couldn't... Free feeding with constant fresh water... Ok so stress free well I live pretty close to the road BUT not a lot of people really drive by except when Blind Kenny is on Buck Creek *Blind Kenny is a motorcycle photographer. I've been told he is blind then told he isn't I don't know but I would have to guess he isn't.* So I'd say it's pretty nice. They are currently on the left side of our house facing a black wire fence, the chicken yard, and our neighbors house, I honestly would live there it's pretty nice. So I think I'm doing good. What about you?

Start the does now on whatever you plan to finish the fryers on later.
They will gain the digestive bacteria they need to thrive on it from eating her cecotropes.

My rabbits are in a vinyl-roofed wire-sided "aviary" to give them an extra layer of weather and predator protection. I hang several layers of thick tarp over the south face to provide more shade during summer months. They also get a fan when it's warm (excessive heat can slow growth too), and a radio played 24-7, which I feel helps deter predators (another source of stress) and desensitize kits.

I have gotten some rather decent growth in the past, but my current buns just do not have the genetics for commercial growth. So, with perfectly ideal conditions, but without the genes, you still may never see the magical 5 lbs in 8 weeks. Most of us are happy if our buns get there in the 10-12 week range.

I feed just some good old commercial feed but I might change later on to fodders but for now commercial XD. I have two bucks right now but I plan to get more bucks and does as time goes on so I can hopefully keep them commercial size :) Thanks for all the help though!

Zass":w8kcadb8 said:
...and a radio played 24-7, which I feel helps deter predators...

Brilliant idea. My seasonal caging is more exposed (read: closer to the ground) than my hutch.

Changing natural feed midstream is certainly an issue, but I suddenly find myself needing to change brands of pellets unless I want to order the feed I used to get and have it drop-shipped here (local feed store became a Bomgaars, so y'know, brand names). Is that less of an issue?

Change over pellets slowly, if you can. 75% old, 25% new for a few days, then 50/50 for a few days, etc. If you have to do a quick change, I would add some oats for a bit and keep a close eye for tummy upsets.

SoDak Thriver":3g7ezxke said:
Zass":3g7ezxke said:
...and a radio played 24-7, which I feel helps deter predators...

Brilliant idea. My seasonal caging is more exposed (read: closer to the ground) than my hutch.

Changing natural feed midstream is certainly an issue, but I suddenly find myself needing to change brands of pellets unless I want to order the feed I used to get and have it drop-shipped here (local feed store became a Bomgaars, so y'know, brand names). Is that less of an issue?

Honestly I've been back and forth between a local store's brand *prefered by buns* and a Tractor supply kind which they don't seem to like to much... XD So I've been back and forth anyway and it don't seem to upset their tummies. But I've tried to stick to the local one. I like it better as well. It's bigger pellets with some hay in the blend I believe. *I read the bag once and it was better than the TSC kind so I'm trying to stay with the local brand it's from a little store called Fox Brothers.

Latest posts

Back