finally going to have a colony (:

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiogoatgirl

Reaction score
I am so excited! :) I have to borrow a measuring tape but i have a good size pen. I am workon pics from my darn phone as well

My gold tipped steel doe (3/4 nz, 1/4 fg) will be going in it in a couple weeks along with her litter. It is her first litter and i am gonna wait until they are 4wks at least before i move them. The dad of the litter is a florida white so the litter is 1/2 fw, 3/8 nz, 1/8 fg. She had ten and only the wee runt died.

I wont be keeping a buck in the colony because i like to know if the does are bred and due dates etc. And this way i can always breed her to any buck i may have. She is doing very well with this litter and i think if she keeps up her condition i will be breeding her back at about 5wks post kindling to my new silver fox black buck who is full pedigree :) So far though momma looks just as good now as she did before i bred her :)

Depending on how this litter grows out i am tempted to hold back a doe in colony and see how that goes as well. And she would probably get bred to the SF when she was old enough for some really mutt meat kits :) hahaha they would be 1/2 sf, 1/4 fw, 3/16 nz, 1/16 fg xD

__________ Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:01 am __________

I decided that if momma stays in good condition i will breed her back at four wks post kindle. Probably will box up the nest and have them ready to move, pop momma in with the buck and HOPE she will cooperate, then pop her into the new pen and the litter into the new nest.
Then momma can wean them as she wishes. I will probably pop out the stragglers of the litter for eating at about 7wks. Leave the bigger ones in to grow more and watch for possible keeper biggest doe. And hopefully the litter will stay out of the nest momma makes for her new litter! Honestly my big worry right now is the older kits mashing the new litter.

__________ Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:51 pm __________

Ok i got pics loaded to my gallery here on RT. Its the 12.25.13 album.

__________ Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:40 pm __________

Alright lets see if i can figure out these pics....

<br /><br />__________ Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:45 pm __________<br /><br />

The litter is doing great. Momma is keepin condition perfectly. All i am waiting for is gotta wait til payday to get to tsc for bedding and feed and hopefully found a person i can buy some hay from. Then just waitin for monday when the litter will be 4wks. Breed momma to the SF buck and pop her and the litter in the colony pen :) I am super excited.

My other doe nz red had got some ear mites. Treated her and it is going away quickly but she is just a board seperating her from momma and the litter. So keepin watch on everyones ears now. She is due jan 11.<br /><br />__________ Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:44 pm __________<br /><br />Also the nz white doe i got with the SF buck is bred to the FW buck. But i am on the fence with her because she acts like a half starved dog when i feed her /: Not like the usual rabbit drama queen bit "oh we are starving"... like she lunges her head into the bowl. I have to put a pinch of feed in, she lunges her head in the bowl, i pour the feed in. Or else i about spill all the feed everywhere when she nose dives the bowl.
And my other does are bit bigger then her and eating the same feed. Today she was really crazed and i upped her amount some. If she keeps it up she wont be staying though.

I'm happy for you! :)

Sounds annoying with the hungry rabbit. She's probably set the behaviour though. Do they get free choice hay? If not, that may convince her that there is feed.

I free feed my colony, I have a feeder in there that I just keep full. They have room there (5'x10') to run around and burn it off. I've processed about 30 buns from the colony in the last year and they don't have an excess of fat inside them, in fact, not much fat at all.

I haven't had any problem with an older litter trampling on a new litter. Once the older litter is out of the nestbox they seem to like hiding in the clay pipe I put in there. If you have multiple hidey holes it reduces the chances of the older litter returning to the nestbox. I've also seen Momma chasing the older kits away.

Yes i am going to be free feeding once momma and litter are in the colony. And they are getting free fed now in the hutch. Everyone is in the hutches right now, only the gts doe and her litter will go into the colony.

__________ Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:11 pm __________

Well hopefully this evening i will be getting some hay. We got snow here and temps went way down and now at about 20*F. Will be putting hay in the colony pen and thinkin i will move them over tomorrow. Then i'll just take momma to the buck later on to be bred.

Nzred is due the 11th. Nzwhite is due 21st.<br /><br />__________ Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:37 am __________<br /><br />[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoMLX_gQ7DY&feature=c4-overview&list=UUGccvSitkgba2Eqk7xGsRVw[/youtube]

I finally got an update video :) this shows all of my rabbits.

Well it needs to dry up here because i am waiting on hay on a trade. They cant geet their hay until it is dry enough to be delivered and i cant trade them some cages for hay until they have hay /: so thats all i am waiting on.
The litter is lookin good. On saturday they will be 4wks old. I have two smallest does on hold for someones as pets so hopefully they actually wait and buy em and i can have some feed money. The largest ones of the litter is the 4 gts kits. I think 3 does and 1 buck.

__________ Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:00 pm __________

2 gts doe
2 gts buck
1 agouti buck
1 blue gts buck
1 blue gts doe
2 opal doe

Ha.. final count and i numbered their ears with the marker.

__________ Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:29 pm __________

Got the smallest three on hold for pet sales soon as they are ready to go. Good thing because i am needin feed.<br /><br />__________ Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:19 pm __________<br /><br />Moved momma and the two biggest doe kits to the colony pen. It has a bit of straw and grass i cut thats from a standing feild that wasnt cut. Hoping tomorrow i can at least pick up one bale and gp feed. I never imagined that hay would ever be so terribly hard to get!!!

Latest posts

Back