Figuring out color genetics based on phenotypes in rabbitry

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

averydeadbird

Reaction score
This is just for fun, as I'm breeding my buns for meat rather than color/pedigree, but I love puzzles! I started with a doe and buck of unknown lineages. They have had two litters so far. I put their pictures and my guesses as to genetics on a blog post:
https://growmakelearnthrive.blogspot.co ... in-my.html

I'm using terminology from this page:
http://www.amysrabbitranch.com/Color&Ge ... 202011.pdf

I'm most confused about these points:
1. The doe is near-black with some mottled brown along her sides/back. I think she is Es?
2. She has one white foot. Does this mean she's a vienna carrier (Vv)?

Here are the things I definitely know:
1. Both parents must carry c because the second litter contains two REWs.
2. Both parents must carry e because the second litter contains one all red kit (with a little white on shoulder/leg - Vv?).
3. Both parents must carry a because both litters had all black kits.
4. No brown or blue dilution has appeared, so it's unlikely that both parents have either b or d. I can't rule out that one may be carrying b or d.

Please correct any mistakes I've made!

The term is 'steel' not dark agouti for those colors, but you seem to have the genetics for them right (definitely Es)

I wouldn't confidently say that both parents carry a, as steel carrying non-extension (Ese) also appears self/black sometimes (with the dam; the fact that she is darker than her steel offspring is a good indicator that she carries e, while the steel offspring that look more agouti likely carry E instead)

It's also possible that it's some other white spotting or residual white and not vienna - vienna is uncommon in larger meat lines compared to how common it is in pet lines.

Thank you! I've updated the blog post with your information. I didn't know about Ese appearing black! It also fits since she's produced both steel and red kits.

Back