Figure this out!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seagullplayer

Reaction score
So here is the mixed breed doe we picked up last night. She is in great shape, if you have any ideas on what breed she "mostly" resembles, please speak up!

Doe.jpg

And this is the kit she had when I brought her home. Every tribe and nation! The lady that I got them from said she had bread her last to a rabbit that most resembled the light brown one in the middle. With this vast array of variations in her off spring does this mean she has all these different breeds in her background? Or can the buck be responsible for some of the variation?

Thanks

litter.jpg

The problem with guess the breed is that mutts and purebreds not bred to standarard pretty much all look like the same type of rabbit. It's near impossible to tell. Sometimes you can pick out an arch type or a dutch pattern or something that might give a clue but most are a version of commercial type build and any color can be created.

Many breeds could produce dozens of colors out of 2 rabbits and still be purebred. Although it's uncommon since in order to make good show quality colors people tend to breed a certain small group of colors together but if someone ignores that it is possible to get tons of colors. Crosses of breeds or crossing colors that aren't accepted by the arba standards can create even more colors out of 2 rabbits. Both parents contribute genes equally to make all the colors.

How fun! Yeah, I wouldn't even take a guess on breed with her, but she looks like a nice rabbit and you gotta love it when they throw all those wild colors. (Sure makes it easier to pick a "favorite" though—a bad thing for me and meat rabbits!)

Back