Fetal kits and full term in one litter. GRAPHIC pics.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you. I just didn't want her to loose a litter if there was some way to prevent it. Not sure if she is pregnant yet but will find out soon ;D :p :p

I had a grow-out doe do something similar a couple of weeks ago, but I'm sure hers was two pregnancies. We had a buck (that loves the babies and grow-outs, he mopes without friends) in with the whole group.

The doe decided to sexually mature early and got pregnant. I never saw them breed, but the evidence was indisputable. One group of kits was term and on the wire (I didn't find them soon enough to save them) and the others were probably 2-3 weeks gestation. When she went into labor with the older kits, she aborted the younger kits.

I had never had this happen before, but then again, I raise in cages and control the breeding. That buck now permanently has his own cage. He's not thrilled, but oh well!

I wanted to add my pics to this too, since I've had a rabbit that was definitely not exposed to a buck more than one time (one cover even) produce some kits in various stages of development along with 9 healthy kits that all survived to processing weight.

I tend to agree that it's probably very common for rabbits to have some kits not develop fully. I think, they just tend to clean those up before we ever see them.

Attachments

• GEDC5727.JPG
    GEDC5727.JPG
    286.4 KB · Views: 5,292
I was planning on making a separate post for mine, but saw this one and thought I'd just add my picture here.
I breed my new HL doe on August 19th and then a few weeks into pregnancy I moved her to a larger cage with a wooden floor, so she won't have the kits on the wire. She is around 2 years old, and was used to living on the wire for most of her life (that I know of) She didn't take to the wood well at all (It is a bit slippery) and would just sit in the corner day and night. I was assuming she would get over it and start hopping around. Apparently she was quite stressed out because after watching for a few more day I realized very quickly she stopped eating and drinking, and after finding a bit of blood in the hutch I moved her back to her wire cage, and moved her inside. After a long while of feeding her everything I could think of to get her to eat again (Oatmeal, pineapple, raspberry leaves, strawberry leaves, dandelions, etc.) she started back on pellets. A bit later I found 2 premature kits in the nest box in a PILE of fur. :cry: / :D It was so sad, but so sweet she actually had them in the box! (I did find one who fell through the wire) That was on September 14th. 5 days before her due date. Hard to imagine 26 day old kits can look like this. They sure grow fast! :eek:
AAr0mcB.jpg

I named all 3 of the kits and buried them. I added the fur she pulled for them to the grave. -/-(

Easy Ears":289v1k70 said:
I named all 3 of the kits and buried them. I added the fur she pulled for them to the grave. -/-(

:cry: I'm sorry for your loss. Better luck next time. :clover:

This is very close to an issue with one of my lionheads. I have blue eyed white Vienna gene lionheads and tried 4 times with our 3rd generation doe. First pregnancy nested one week soon had 1 partially resorted fetus and one huge one she had to bite in half to get out.

Next mating to same buck was pregnant but nested a week early. X-ray showed resorting kits. Third mating to a different buck the same. Fourth mating, now on third buck nested 1 week early and dug up the nest. Day after she was due started nest building again. X-ray showed 1 very large kit and vet did an emergency c section. There was 1 large kit who lived a few hours and 3 empty placentas.

The few kits she had looked like the pictures in this thread. She cannot mate safely again. Her parents and siblings are all normal and do not have this problem.

A good friend who is a well published professor of large animal reproductive medicine was stumped by this problem. It has shown up in large animals due to viral infections or aneuploidy. It cannot be changed with nutrition he told me. Probably not diabetes either.

It is not safe to breed the doe. She has to be sold off as a pet and would not have value as a show rabbit. Sorry.

wpcaernarfon":3glomq70 said:
This is very close to an issue with one of my lionheads. I have blue eyed white Vienna gene lionheads and tried 4 times with our 3rd generation doe. First pregnancy nested one week soon had 1 partially resorted fetus and one huge one she had to bite in half to get out.

Next mating to same buck was pregnant but nested a week early. X-ray showed resorting kits. Third mating to a different buck the same. Fourth mating, now on third buck nested 1 week early and dug up the nest. Day after she was due started nest building again. X-ray showed 1 very large kit and vet did an emergency c section. There was 1 large kit who lived a few hours and 3 empty placentas.

The few kits she had looked like the pictures in this thread. She cannot mate safely again. Her parents and siblings are all normal and do not have this problem.

A good friend who is a well published professor of large animal reproductive medicine was stumped by this problem. It has shown up in large animals due to viral infections or aneuploidy. It cannot be changed with nutrition he told me. Probably not diabetes either.

It is not safe to breed the doe. She has to be sold off as a pet and would not have value as a show rabbit. Sorry.
Wow... what an odd situation. I don't understand resorted/resorting. What does that mean?

The rest of it, though... with three different bucks. Gracious! I would agree that it is not nutrition related, as the trials of other members have shown issues like this to be genetic.

Miss M, resorted was supposed to mean resorbed.

The Android pad I used to write the comment is always "correcting" what I write with the wrong words, even "correcting" common words like resorbed.

So my rabbit resorbs her kits somewhere near the beginning of her third trimester, around 20 -24 days.

wpcaernarfon":185ai40z said:
Miss M, resorted was supposed to mean resorbed.

The Android pad I used to write the comment is always "correcting" what I write with the wrong words, even "correcting" common words like resorbed.

So my rabbit resorbs her kits somewhere near the beginning of her third trimester, around 20 -24 days.
Oh, right! If I hadn't been so tired, I probably would have picked up on that. :roll:

MaggieJ":185ai40z said:
I think the word you wanted was "reabsorb" or "reabsorbing", wpcaernarfon.
"Resorb" is actually a correct American (USA) English word with the same definition:

resorb
Syllabification: re·sorb
Pronunciation: /rēˈsôrb/ /-ˈzôrb/
Definition of resorb in English:

verb
[with object] technical

1Absorb (something) again: the ability to resorb valuable solutes from the urine

1.1 Physiology Remove (cells, or a tissue or structure) by gradual breakdown into its component materials and dispersal in the circulation: bone tissue will be resorbed

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/de ... ish/resorb

Interesting! You are perfectly correct, Miss M. I have never come across the word "resorb" but after reading your post I googled it. According to dictionary.com its use goes back to the 1600's! It's odd that the American English spell-check flags it as an error since it is apparently used on both sides of the Atlantic.

My apologies, wpcaernarfon. :oops:

MaggieJ":33xid3hf said:
I have never come across the word "resorb" but after reading your post I googled it.

Same here, and I was also going to offer a correction... fortunately, I have a dictionary handy right here on my desk and looked it up first. :wr_special:

It's not often that I or MaggieJ see an unfamiliar word, so thanks for teaching us a new one Wpcaernarfon! :p

The the photos you Pieter are interesting. I read about this about 2 weeks ago ... I learnt something new about rabbit physiology. They font have one uterus like a human, they gave two horns to their uterus and each can carry a litter - usually not successfully. So the 5 that lived are quite unique. It can also be fatal for mummy bunny too. Each horn can carry a litter from a different male. I've never seen these sorts of pics before ... The kit in its sac is quite amazing really. Al the best with the kits and the next litter. <br /><br /> -- Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:20 pm -- <br /><br /> The the photos you posted are interesting. I read about this about 2 weeks ago ... I learnt something new about rabbit physiology. They dont have one uterus like a human, they have two horns to their uterus and each can carry a litter - usually not successfully. So the 5 that lived are quite unique. It can also be fatal for mummy bunny too. Each horn can carry a litter from a different male. I've never seen these sorts of pics before ... The kit in its sac is quite amazing really. Al the best with the kits and the next litter. :bunnyhop:

NKALA, the two horned uterus is real, but the fact that they are for carrying separate litters is a myth.

I've autopsied several does now, at varying stages of pregnancy. I always find embryos carried in both horns in every pregnancy.
Imagine the horns being filled with kits, lined up on both sides of a rabbit's abdomen instead of all those babies in a cluster in the middle, or all the kits being carried on one side. That is what the two horns are for.

From my understanding, a doe can have embryos fertilized by more than one buck (like a cat), but, they would not be carried separately.

I just wanted to say thank you for posting these. Last year was a brutal year for me and breeding. I was getting a lot of kits that were not fully developed, more so than the ones in the sac. Between those and the rats getting to the others, it was really difficult to keep going. We've moved now though and the rats are not an issue. Hoping now that I have some different bucks and that I'm outcrossing in some unrelated and long living lines I will have better odds.

Latest posts

Back