Fell off the wagon...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSFAngoras

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
...and came home with two new buns!

DH recently posed the question "how many rabbits do you need?!" when I mentioned that I'd really like to try rex again. Not that it means I would listen anyway, :lol: , but apparently he wasn't for it.

So when he was shopping at the sporting goods store the other night for another fly fishing rod (of which he has about five already, I know they all have different purposes, but I couldn't resist the golden opportunity thrown at my feet!) I had to ask " how many fly fishing rods do you need?!". :)

Long story short, he got another fly fishing rod, I went home and called on an ad I've had my eye on for a few days.

I found them on he local CL, pure bred, no pedi, but I only intend to use them for meat/pelt production to hopefully get some nice pelts to start sewing with.

The guy I got them from had two older does (9 month) and about 6 kits (2 mos.) in he same big hutch. He said they'd just caught them all, and the parents were around somewhere. Apparently the kids lost interest, they set the rabbits loose and the buns hung around (and still are there) and produced a few litters. :shock: normally I'd be pretty peeved at the idea that someone would let loose rabbits like that, but to be honest, thought the rabbits are a bit small, I can't find a thing wrong with them health wise (still in QT still) though I wouldn't call them show rabbits.

Anyway, the price was right, $25 for the pair, an older doe and young buck. Full brother and sister, but it will be a terminal line and none of the kits will be sold, so I don't mind. I palpitated the doe too since she was out with her father, and it feels like she's bred, though the kits still feel small, so she'll be getting a nest in about a week. They don't seem to mind eating the pellets either, though they will be transitioned over pretty slowly.

New buns and hopefully an end to the kit dry spell, all in one fell swoop, yay!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 478
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 478
Cute buns PSF! :yes: Hope all goes well with your meat venture.

Did the Champs ever give you anything?
128873098020961802.jpg

I got one nice litter from the champs so far, with good grow out rates, but I'm used to free feeding my angoras since they use all that food to put on wool, and so I took the same approach with the champs and the doe got to fat to breed. :oops:

I've been rationing her and her doe kit that I've kept back since I started realizing what a little butterball she is. She's lost a bit of weight, so I tried to breed her, but she wasn't interested in the champ buck because he wasn't being assertive enough, so I put her in with the my more experienced angora buck. If all goes well I should be getting a Christmas litter of meat mutts. The little full champ doe I held back will be ready to breed in a couple months too, so over all, ya, I guess the champs are doing okay, if you don't count my over feeding them! :)

The rex will be rationed from the start, so hopefully I'll avoid that problem all together!

I understand the "butterball" statement. These French Lops will blowup like a balloon if you're not careful. :eek:

Good luck on your Christmas litter. Dee Dee (in the haystache thread) is due next Thur. or Fri. :bouncy:

I love it when two addictions come together. Yesterday Gwen and I went shopping in Bonners Ferry, Idaho. While she was snooping through antique shops I visited the gun store. She agreed that if I didn't buy anything she wouldn't either. :lol:
:mrgreen: Now this is where I got sneaky, I didn't tell her that as a Montana resident I couldn't buy a gun in Idaho if I wanted to. :twisted:

DH recently posed the question "how many rabbits do you need?!" when I mentioned that I'd really like to try rex again. Not that it means I would listen anyway, :lol: , but apparently he wasn't for it.

So when he was shopping at the sporting goods store the other night for another fly fishing rod (of which he has about five already, I know they all have different purposes, but I couldn't resist the golden opportunity thrown at my feet!) I had to ask " how many fly fishing rods do you need?!". :)

This story made me laugh! I wouldn't have been able to resist that golden opportunity either!

WhWRabbitry":1rbw3i32 said:
...(but I couldn't resist the golden opportunity thrown at my feet!) I had to ask " how many fly fishing rods do you need?!". :)

This story made me laugh! I wouldn't have been able to resist that golden opportunity either!

If you ever meet her and her hubby like me, you'd be surprised she didn't mug him right then. :frypan: :lol: These two are a blast and a perfect fit for each other!

But at least she's honest...
...Not that it means I would listen anyway...
:wr_noseinair: I've seen her pull this one before. Maybe even encouraged it a little. :twisted:

But at least she's honest...
...Not that it means I would listen anyway...
:wr_noseinair: I've seen her pull this one before. Maybe even encouraged it a little. :twisted:

Oh, only a bit!! :D Though if I'd have come home with the original object of interest (a chestnut ND buck) instead of a champagne pair I'd have never lived it down for bringing an appetizer home from the rabbit show!

I do keep telling him that me asking is just common courtesy, so there's no point in him resisting! :) In all reality, if he was genuinely against me getting more rabbits I wouldn't, but we keep our finances separate, and so we kind of do our own things with them so long as our financial needs are all met.

He doesn't pay for or care for rabbits, he just eats them, so he doesn't mind so long as he gets to smooch on kits when they're tiny and poke bunnies as he walks by them. (I may have the only bunnies in the state that don't care if they get their noses poked through the cage wire since their so used to it!) And he knows when he does walk into the sporting goods store that I'm usually the one to encourage him to spend a few more bucks to get the better quality things that will last longer than the cheapies he has to replace in a year or two, so it all evens out.

Ya, were kind of an oddball couple always jokingly picking on each other and giving each other crap, but it's all in good fun! :lovers:

Love the story and the bunnies. I had to laugh when you said he already had 5 fly rods, though! My husband has well over 40, and is still always looking!! For the first decade or so we were married he always said he was "completing" his collection of all the different fly rod weights (as well as other types of rods), and I remember well the day that he said he had the last weight and his collection was complete. But then soon enough he was looking at another fly rod, and when I asked why he said that now he had to "upgrade" them all to the next level. That was about the time I stopped paying attention! It's pretty common for him to carry 4-6 rods with him when he goes fishing, because he never knows what's going to work best on any given day.

I would count yourself lucky!!

He's only been fly fishing for about a year now, so I expect he'll get there! He does have about 15 spinning rods, so I know the fly rod collection will follow suit. I just thank my lucky stars we don't live near salt water, or that would be a whole nother set for both!!

I have 4 or 5 poles and reels (just bass poles) just for the pond in the back. If I were fishing rivers, lakes, or God forbid the ocean, I'd need a bigger shed for all the stuff I'd want.

Latest posts

Back