Feeding them together....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvbunnies

Reaction score
Wasn't sure if this is the best place to ask about this, but I'll give it a shot. This is about feeding. How do you feed your colony? We currently have six rabbits together. Three are full grown and three are almost six months so their still growing. I've been giving them Alfalfa/Hay pellets and oatmeal. They also eat mulberry leaves, that have fallen and what little grass and weeds are left. We give them a little bit of veggie scraps too. My dilemma is how much should I be putting out? I've heard that they'll over eat with pellets. I've also heard the younger ones should always have endless pellets. We have two 2 month olds that will be joining them soon. If they are still racing over to eat every time I refill their bowls, dose that mean they actually need it or are they just eating to eat? If I just measure out the recommended amount of pellets per rabbit, how can I make sure some aren't gobbling it all up? I want to make sure everyone is well feed. Btw, these are all miniature rabbits. Polish and Dwarfs.

1-2oz per pound of body weight, just measure up enough for all six of them and dump it in a long row so all can reach it. Or use a low and wide pan or two for feeding them all. Make a special corner where only the 2mo can get into for them to eat when they want.

I have a group of 8 living together in an 8' hutch. I just place a couple big pans in and let them at it, they do fine and will sort out any problems themselves.

They didn't do fine in my colony.

I fed the rabbits in a long metal trough so there was no crowding and they were fee fed. I eventually had to permanently remove a doe as she would loose weight and I would separate her for a week or so to gain weight then put her back only to loose weight again in a month or so.

I now keep my breeding stock in individual cages or pairs and are fed 3/4 of an ounce per pound of to prevent them from getting overweight and my grow outs are in a colony and free fed.

Back