Feeding Rabbits just about everything we eat

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unicorn, the advice you are giving regarding feeding is questionable at best, and likely downright dangerous. Your feeding protocol is very unorthodox and will be met with skepticism here, especially without knowing your rabbit raising background.

Can I ask how many rabbits you currently have in your care, and have raised in the past?

Are they companion animals or do you raise for fiber, meat, or show animals?

Do you breed them? If so, what are the litter outcomes? Growth rate? Fat content if processed for meat? Natural lifespan of those kept as companions?

I just got my rabbits for home. One lived for 9 years, another for 7 years and one lived for only 1 year because she got taken by a cat in my backyard. I didn't know that a cat could come over the fence. I had made a 8 feet by 6 feet by 5feet enclosure, it was a little open on the side and a cat got in.

Brus":m6hnqa5q said:
We need to stop feeding the Troll.

9 posts so far from this mythical beast and not a single word of common sense.

Trololololo Unicorn :(

"Troll" and "mythical beast" yourself.

-- Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:15 pm --

michaels4gardens":m6hnqa5q said:
Unicorn":m6hnqa5q said:
When the rabbits speak, no other voice can be upheld.
sounds like your cup is already full [no point in trying to add very much to it]

But let me say this, there are people on this forum with a lot of practical experience, and some who have also done a lot of reading and research. Some, who most likely have a lot more knowledge to share then I.

I have raised rabbits for over 50 years, have had the freedom, and funding to do a lot of research and testing, and have raised tens of thousands of rabbits.
you can learn a lot here if you are teachable. [I still learn a lot from some of these folks]

Oh! For Heaven's sakes, so how come you have no knowledge? Particularly when it is crystal clear that when rabbits speak up for themselves, human opinion is NOT REQUIRED and is also MEANINGLESS!

When my rabbits speak it normally means either 1 of 3 things.
1.) The buck just got done doing his manly duty with the doe.
2.) I'm picking up a kit that's a bit high strung.
3.) I'm about to process a rabbit and the rabbit's saying, "Ohhhh noooooos!"

After that I say 1 of 3 things:
1.) Good job!!!
2.) Imma eat you one day!
3.) Yummy!

If there was any apparent evidence that this Troll was on the level and had anything of worth to share, it has now been lost, i know that this is far off topic for this Thread and for that i apologize.

However at this point unicorn is employing legitimate debate strategy.

Step 1) Acquire and cement your position:

Unicorn did this in another thread stating that many things that would be questionable at best should be fed as a regular ration as a part of a Rabbits diet

Unicorn":303gc873 said:
Did you know dogs, cats, rabbits, etc., can eat just about everything we eat. See my thread under commercial feeding, titled - Feeding Rabbits just about everything we eat

Then in this thread Unicorn reiterated their questionable opinion.

Rabbits can have raw potato, carrots, broccoli, pear, banana, endive lettuce/lettuce, parsley, bottle gourd, cucumber, tomato, other fruits and veggies, not to mention other foods like bread, pasta, pizza, oatmeal, etc.

Step 2) When challenged, either provide detail to qualify your position, or change the argument:

Here Unicorn switched tracks and started in on Psychological nutrition and how it applies to rabbits, while at the same time becoming more whimsical in their arguments.

Nutrition is not just about food, it is also about other things like exercise, keeping oneself clean, entertainment, something to look forward to, company, etc. As regards nutrition in food,{more useless food info} Good health is not only dependent upon good or the right nutrition, but also upon love, loving care, cleanliness, hygiene, exercise, entertainment, something to look forward to, company, needs being met, comforts being there, etc. {repeating the exact same position in many different words}

Step 3) Hijack the argument by attempting to engender an emotional argument to change stance from objective fact based opinion, to emotional subjectivity.

No, I mean nutrition. We get essential nutrients from food, we also receive essential nutrients from love, going to the movies, going to the mall, going on vacation, having something to look forward to, going to work, going to a party, cooking, cleaning, dusting, mopping, vaccuming, eating, drinking, clothes, new clothes, a jog, exercise, loving, caring, fresh air, etc. Don't you know how adrenaline courses through our body when we go for a run or exercise? Nutrients are of all various kinds. But in food they are carbs, sugars, starches, etc.

And finally Step 4) Attack opponents opinions and create an argumentative environment to foster a higher emotional state while appearing to be the calmest person in the room, thus leading credence to the arguments being made, this allows the debater to then challenge any counterpoint being made

So 'food for thought' means nothing to you? {more Useless argument buffering} Obviously you don't have need for any 'food for thought' here. Plus you guys don't need any NUTRITION for the mind.

And then grind down your opponents with arguments that pull away from the main point until they get lost, then simply claim the moral or factual higher-ground

I don't think you noticed that my response was not to the original query but to a later post that is different from the original query, but I guess you didn't notice. Next time could you pretty please pay attention.

THIS IS CLASSIC TROLL STRATEGY A QUICK REVIEW OF THE OTHER THREAD THIS USER IS ACTIVE IN SHOWS THE SAME BEHAVIOR, CLASSIC TROLL ACTIONS.

Cowgirl, i apologize for directing attention away from this valuable thread and topic, but i could not let this stand.

Unicorn is a Troll, 2 threads of ramblings now, for a full explanation please see Cowgirl's Thread "Animal Nutrition"

animal-nutrition-t22543.html

I preset a full explanation of the debate level tactics this user is employing to waste our time.

Unicorn, Please start either presenting facts to back up your claims, in plain words with out the equivocation that has been presented so far.

MamaSheepdog":23qv5a0d said:
Can I ask how many rabbits you currently have in your care, and have raised in the past?
Unicorn":23qv5a0d said:
One lived for 9 years, another for 7 years and one lived for only 1 year because she got taken by a cat in my backyard.

So you are now on rabbit number 4? I have raised hundreds of rabbits in the span of three years, and I am certain that many of our members have raised thousands.

The number of rabbits you have raised is not a representative sample, and I think that if they were raised on a large scale that way with the added bodily stress of producing litters, disaster would quickly ensue.

Unicorn":23qv5a0d said:
Particularly when it is crystal clear that when rabbits speak up for themselves, human opinion is NOT REQUIRED and is also MEANINGLESS!

I certainly hope that if you ever raised any children that you didn't follow this line of thought.

Can rabbits feel fear? Yes.

Pain? Yes.

Contentment? Yes.

Form attachments to people and other animals? Yes.

Play? Yes.

Make rational decisions regarding a healthy diet when all they have to choose from is that provided by their caretakers? No.

Domestic rabbits have lost most of their ability to even distinguish poisonous versus non poisonous plants in an all natural setting. I had a pet rabbit die because she ate toxic mushrooms, so know this is true from personal experience.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":23qv5a0d said:
THIS IS OUT OF HAND ... time to move this on.

We quite agree.

Unicorn, if you persist in posting potentially dangerous advice regarding care and feeding of rabbits, you will be banned from the forum.

Thankfully for your rabbit, you will still have the ability to read and learn here, but will no longer be able to participate in discussions or post questions if (when!) your current rabbit has problems.

Latest posts

Back