Feeding my meat rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaywest1980

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the site so bear with me if i have not included all the information needed. My wife has recently decided to start breeding New Zealand whites for meat. After a ton of research on cages, lighting, housing needs, and diets we have found out there are a lot of different opinions on what to do. She purchased a trio today from a local arba breeder. She suggested feeding the buck 4 oz and the does 6oz of commercial pellet, all the hay they can eat and occasional greens. does anyone else have a different suggestion? Thanks in advance for all your help

Howdy Jaywest!

My usual pellets I buy are the Purina: Professional brand from the local feed store in town.
50lb bag for 20 dollars is a good deal for me I think.

http://www.rabbit.purinamills.com/Produ ... 19045.aspx

I feed my New Zealand and Cali rabbits Purina Professional.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS Crude Protein (Min) 18.00%

They have a serving suggestion based on the breed of rabbit on the bag too!

When I first got my pet rabbits I came across Fibre 3:
5.99 a 7 lb bag

http://www.rabbit.purinamills.com/PRODU ... 19043.aspx

Crude Protein (Min) 15%

You should clarify if she means ounces by weight or by volume as 4oz by weight is closer to 6oz by volume ;)

17% is great for working (pregnant, lactating, recovering) does and weaned kits, it's alright for bucks too as long as you feed the boys less.

I start free feeding my does (so they always have pellets available) the week before they kindle as I find they keep condition better and I can re-breed them sooner. However, some rabbits will dig out their feeder and waste food so it is not always possible.

Once the kits are 3 weeks old they often start to eat pellets and you should offer more, if not free feeding, and fully weaned kits in grow out cages should always have pellets available to maximize growth.

It's not necessary because your feeding them less so they conversely eat more hay and over all have a lower protein diet :)

Just make sure it is grass or Timothy hay and not the higher protien alfalfa (or Lucerne)

jaywest1980 my husband is in the same boat. I have decided that we will start raising rabbits in the spring. Over the past 2 months I have read through over 15 books on rabbits and backyard barnyards. How is her adventure going?

are these rabbits breeding age? [6 to 8 months old] it makes a big difference on how much you feed them, and-- are they fat, or thin? -- If they are still growing they should get more feed, if they are mature, and skinny they need to be "fed up" a little, if they are fat they should be fed a little less the the 6 to 8 OZ recommended for large breed NZ breedstock. and-- are you feeding Timothy hay, or are they getting something else [it maters ]
I know this doesn't help a new breeder very much and is probably confusing, , but-- it is important to keep your stock in good shape by adjusting the feed intake, and all rabbits are different, -some are easy keepers, and some would starve on what others would get fat on. so-- 6 to 8 OZ for a large breed breed doe and 4 to 6 for a buck are just guidelines, and a starting point, you must try to develope an eye and feel [along the back] for your animals condition, -- if the back bone is sticking up much at all or not much meat along the sides of the spine, it needs a little more feed, [and maybe worming] -if it is smooth on top with just little bumps along the spine it is good, if it is all wide and smooth along the spine or obviously fat, feed should be cut back a little. --JMHO

I very much agree with Michael. I raise NZ, and they all do differently on the same amount of feed.

Start them out with a set amount, and keep a close eye on them. See what needs adjusting. Keep in mind it will likely need adjusting again come summer, and of course, when you have does expecting, and then nursing, kits.

Best of luck, and remember, we love pictures here :)

Back