Feeding herbs to kits exposed to parasite

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitRobbie

Reaction score
My doe tested positive for cocidia. I've lost a litter before, they all seemed healthy up until weaning at 8 weeks. This time I put my doe on Albon right after she gave birth. I've been cleaning the cage with ammonia and boiling water every other day. I was wondering what other measures I might take to keep the kits healthy. I was reading about herbs and how certain ones act as antibiotics and dewormers. I'm not sure of it would be fine to give the kits Albon? But could I feed them green onion, echinacea ect. ??

From medirabbit:

Prevention

Branches and leaves rich in tannin (willow, hazelnut, oak, ash, fruit trees, eventually pines) are excellent in preventing coccidiosis. Before a rabbit is given a twig to chew, it is important to check that it’s picked from a tree that is not toxic to rabbits. Furthermore, the tree must not have been exposed to chemicals or pollution from busy roads.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_disease ... occ_en.htm <br /><br /> -- Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:18 pm -- <br /><br /> Do you know what type of coccidia they tested positive for? Some protozoa affect the liver more, and others cause intestinal inflammation (aka enteritis.)

For hepatic coccidiosis, caused by Eimeria stiedae, I have had very good luck just keeping my kits in a clean wire pen, without the ammonia.

Latest posts

Back