Feeding BOSS

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RR MiniSatins

Reaction score
Hi, I have a question about feeding BOSS. I have a doe that needs to gain a little weight and I've seen in some topics that several people recommend adding some BOSS to the feed. Is that fed with the shells still on? Thanks.

I was wondering how much BOSS to feed to my buns. I know that each are individuals and it is more a long the line of a treat, but was trying to make a budget for next month and was thinking about adding a bag of BOSS. I found some at Orscheln Farm and Home Feathered Friend Black Oil Sunflower Seed Wild Bird Food. Comes in 5, 20 and 40lb bags and starting price is $3.99. It seems to be a bag of only black oil sunflower seed.

I will be starting with 3-8wk NZW (1B, 2D)

To start the month I was planning on buy:
1-50lb bag of pellets
3-bails of good quality hay
and maybe a 5lb bag of BOSS.

What are yalls' thought?

The pellets sound about right for a month.

Assuming normal sized, decently tight bales of hay, I would think one per month would be fine. However, if you have a good storage spot for it, I would get what I could when I found it. Maybe it's a function of the crazy weather the last two years, and the fact that it seems a LOT of people are raising cattle right now. but I have seen a lot of people, including me, looking for hay and not finding any.

The BOSS, assuming you aren't also feeding birds, will likely last you a while. Again, that's fine, as I also buy in 50 pound bags as they are cheaper. Get yourself a nice heavy duty lidded garbage can to store it in. But I wouldn't count that as a monthly expense.

035 (500x375).jpg

This is my storage bin for food and bedding. I don't know the exact size but I could hide 3 full size people in it. :p :twisted: Drove over an hour to get it but well worth the gas. Some bins I was looking at were $40+ and I still would have to have bought 2. :x
The dead freezer was $20 in gas. :p I don't plan to feed the birds or squirrels. :lol: Hay in this area is pretty easy to find, but the small square bails are a little harder. Most people in this area are feeding large livestock so large round bails is what is most common. Thanks for you input. :D

Latest posts

Back