Register

Feed Options : Purina, Shur-Gain, Floradale

Choose the right feeds to suit your needs and budget.
Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,300.00

Feed Options : Purina, Shur-Gain, Floradale

Post Number:#1  Unread postby HOWsMom » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:25 am

We have been feeding Purina Performance since we got our rabbits, but 2 others have come to my attention recently.

I'm not familiar with either of them, so am looking for input.

One is called "Shur-gain", the other is "Floradale"
George (black Dutch), Chaos (Brk. Choc MR buck), Fionn (REW MR buck), Ballach (Brk. Black Mini Rex doe), Snowberry (REW MR buck) & Whiteout (REW MR doe)

Also home to 1 dog, some kids and a husband

Missing Mischief

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,919.00

Re: Feed Options : Purina, Shur-Gain, Floradale

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:18 am

Lea
It really depends on what you can get in your area.
Down here is Southern Canada.... (LOL) We have Purina and MasterFeed

MasterFeed - Nurse and Grow is a 18% protein feed and it is great for nursing does to keep condition and kits grow fast and strong on it.
This area had an issue with a batch of MasterFeed in January 2016 and we have been assured that it has been fixed, but I'm a bit gun shy after all the losses so I prefer the Purina. (The rabbits prefer the MasterFeed... lol... but I'm the boss, so they get the one that I haven't had issues with)

Purina Performance (17%)- I found out from a rep in the US, at a show, that there is a show blend with a higher protein, but it isn't available at our local feed stores.

TSC I am sure carries something too... but, I have not investigated their feed selection.

Not much help.... lol
Breeding Czech Frosty & Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Showing, Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/
https://www.facebook.com/Growing-Urban- ... 749253819/
https://www.facebook.com/AmherstburgFarmersMarket/

Site Admin
10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,414.00

Re: Feed Options : Purina, Shur-Gain, Floradale

Post Number:#3  Unread postby MaggieJ » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:44 am

My experience with feeding pellets is a good ten years old, but I remember that we had the choice between Purina and Shur-gain. The rabbits preferred Purina, but did okay on either one. Shortly after that I started investigating exactly what was in the pellets. I don't remember if I got an ingredients list for Shur-gain, but at that time the Purina feed (can't remember which one) contained animal tallow. I had always supplemented pellets with natural feed, but that was the point when I decided to get rid of pellets entirely.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .