Feed for wooled breeds?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZachsRabbits

Reaction score
For those of you who have wool breeds? What do you feed them as an overall diet and to keep their bodies and wool in condition? What do they seem to like?

Same as any rabbit but hay is required. I switched mine to sprouted barley fodder two years ago though. They get pellets as backup but main diet is fodder and hay. Does get extra pellets when lactating. I also keep a boss/grain/calf mana mix around for boosting calories if it's needed. There is a lot of older articles that say angora requires 18% protein but that idea is changing. Lower protein is beginning to be recommended now. My rabbits wool is softer when they are eating fodder and more coarse when on pellets. If an angora gets gut stasis then they are prone to wool block due to the hair being longer than an ordinary rabbit so that is one thing to watch for. Good hydration, roughage and stress prevention will help with that. I only have one angora who is prone to stasis and I believe it is the stress of her epilepsy that causes that.

Ooops what do they like? Lol they are pigs. They love fodder, hay, anything green from the garden. Pea vines are the favorite, no thanks we don't want zucchini, corn leaves/fine stalks, chinese cabbage, raspberry vines, weeds, carrots, carrot tops, many things.

Latest posts

Back