Register

Fed vs. Unfed KIt Pictures

Addressing the special needs of the breeding doe and her kits. Includes nutrition, gestation, nest boxes and materials, and tips to ensure survival of the young.
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 91.00

Re: Fed vs. Unfed KIt Pictures

Post Number:#91  Unread postby TornadoRed » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:46 am

These are very helpful, thank you!

BunnyBucks: 71.00

Post Number:#92  Unread postby FluffyBuns » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:03 pm

Thanks for the pictures, very helpful. So, my bunny had two kits a little bit over 24 hours ago, I keep taking a look at them and only 1 appears to have the round belly the other has a slimmer belly similar to the ones in your pics. I did weigh them both after and there is a difference in weight between the two. When should I intervene? I don't want to wait til its too late and then it dies. Thanks!

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 58,648.00

Post Number:#93  Unread postby MaggieJ » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:38 pm

If it's only been twenty-four hours, I wouldn't be too concerned yet. See how they look in the morning, not too early because does often nurse their kits just before sun-up.

It's impossible for me to judge how the second kit is doing. But here's a useful recent thread for you to read. There is also a ton of info on handfeeding in the stickies next to this one, should that become necessary. But I doubt it will be . . . with only two, the doe should have plenty of milk.
post321232.html#p321232

Be aware that occasionally a kit doesn't feed because it isn't viable. In such cases, nothing you can do will help. But at this point, there is no indication that this the problem with your kit.
Last edited by MaggieJ on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: clarity

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
FluffyBuns

BunnyBucks: 71.00

Post Number:#94  Unread postby FluffyBuns » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:44 pm

Thanks for the reply! By morning it will have been about 48 hours since birth. I did happen to take a look at the thread that you referred to. About an hour and half ago I brought the momma bunny and kits in nest inside to an indoor pen, I held mom in my lap and had the husband assist the thin baby to nurse, he acted like he was starving. He would constantly go from nipple to nipple(not spending too long on any one), it sounded like he was getting something but not sure how much. His belly was a little fuller looking after but not by much. By the way... the momma was not happy with this method as she tried to kick her legs loose from my hands a few times. Will this method cause her to no longer want to nurse on her own or will she instinctively return to the nest when we are not present regardless? Thanks!

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 58,648.00

Post Number:#95  Unread postby MaggieJ » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:58 pm

I've never heard of it causing any problems. Never actually fed kits that way myself, but it is a standard method people use to get things started.

Previous