Fed vs. Unfed Kit Pictures

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aside from fostering, what else can be done to save the runts? I have also tried hand feeding. I have talked with a couple breeders and they tell me it’s not worth all trouble and expense to try to save a runt. Usually my does have 7-9 kits. 2 or 3 are huge in comparison to the rest. 3-4 are average and then 1 sometimes 2 runts. Occasionally the best mom will get the runt to survive to weaning. Then I will separate the runt and give them as much food as they want. That’s been my only success with runts. Even if they survive they are much smaller than their brothers and sisters at processing time. For me, financially, it’s a loss to save them.

Aside from fostering, what else can be done to save the runts? I have also tried hand feeding. I have talked with a couple breeders and they tell me it’s not worth all trouble and expense to try to save a runt. Usually my does have 7-9 kits. 2 or 3 are huge in comparison to the rest. 3-4 are average and then 1 sometimes 2 runts. Occasionally the best mom will get the runt to survive to weaning. Then I will separate the runt and give them as much food as they want. That’s been my only success with runts. Even if they survive they are much smaller than their brothers and sisters at processing time. For me, financially, it’s a loss to save them.
Take all the kits out for around an hour
Then take the mother out and feed the runt(s) on her then put them back

if you are of the mind to save the runts... pull out the biggest 3 or 4 of the litter for an overnight. Pull them at 10 return them at 8. One (or even two) missed feedings won't hurt a big healthy kit. Less competition will help those weaker kits survive. But seriously... do you want to breed weakness into your herd? Weak kits that you supplement could end up being nice strong kits that tempt you to keep them. But what does that mean for your herd long term?
1. kits that need help to survive.
2. creating more work for the owner
3. create problems in other herds when you choose at some point to send them on their way

Take the long-term approach. Do not go out of your way to help them along. Financially, long-term, you are asking for additional trouble.

Latest posts

Back