Fed vs. Unfed Kit Pictures

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greeneyedgirl":fhhbmdih said:
Hi Brenda, and welcome...
Mothering ability is largely genetic, as is litter size .
If you have a good buck, and proper nutrition, and a good nesting situation.
-- then, if your stock does not produce good litters, you need to look at buying "good stock" from a reputable breeder , with good production records.

Thanks for the pics. There isn't much you can do about mamas who don't feed them though. Trying to hand raise is seldom succesful and even if they survive they don't usually amount to much after that.
Am trying to hand rear a kit and it was born Friday x am scared it’s gonna die still as syringe feeding is so tricky

Am trying to hand rear a kit and it was born Friday x am scared it’s gonna die still as syringe feeding is so tricky

What are you feeding it? I have done this multiple times and had success and failure, depending on how old the kits were when I started. How old was it when you had to start feeding it?

What are you feeding it? I have done this multiple times and had success and failure, depending on how old the kits were when I started. How old was it when you had to start feeding it?
So I monitored the situation until Sunday morning and found dead kits so yeah I removed the last one before the same fate befell it, so it was then 36 hours old

I feed it beaphar replacement milk for small animals and I just gotta make sure it’s belly is nice and full before I stop as some gets spilled and if she don’t get enough she gets wrinkly

One thing to be careful with when hand-feeding is accidentally squirting too much milk in the mouth and suffocating the kit. They can very readily become asphyxiated. I try to tag-team hand-feeding with the mother doe/foster doe as best as I can because I find it so difficult. I hold the babies so their mouth is at a downward angle, just in case if there is too much milk then it can drain out instead of into their lungs. A rubber nipple is soooo much easier than a syringe for me. Let the babies get the milk out rather than you pushing it into the mouths.

One thing to be careful with when hand-feeding is accidentally squirting too much milk in the mouth and suffocating the kit. They can very readily become asphyxiated. I try to tag-team hand-feeding with the mother doe/foster doe as best as I can because I find it so difficult. I hold the babies so their mouth is at a downward angle, just in case if there is too much milk then it can drain out instead of into their lungs. A rubber nipple is soooo much easier than a syringe for me. Let the babies get the milk out rather than you pushing it into the mouths.
Yes sometimes she was gasping for breath so it makes me feel so bad

Yes sometimes she was gasping for breath so it makes me feel so bad

If it looks like gasping for air and you hear a sort of clicking noise; most likely, there is liquid in the lungs. I've done this before twice. The first time, my kit died. It was so sad and I hold a lot of guilt from it. The second time, I administered some rescue breaths and chest compressions and was able to save that one. I switched to the rubber nipple after that and, thankfully, had no further issues with that specifically. My only issue now is feeding an adequate amount, thus my heavy reliance on my other does to help.

If it looks like gasping for air and you hear a sort of clicking noise; most likely, there is liquid in the lungs. I've done this before twice. The first time, my kit died. It was so sad and I hold a lot of guilt from it. The second time, I administered some rescue breaths and chest compressions and was able to save that one. I switched to the rubber nipple after that and, thankfully, had no further issues with that specifically. My only issue now is feeding an adequate amount, thus my heavy reliance on my other does to help.
I do use a rubber tear but it’s tricky holding her and pushing it slowly and making sure the test is in her mouth x

Attachments

• 02E51C8F-B571-4142-A522-664C4493D9B5.jpeg
    02E51C8F-B571-4142-A522-664C4493D9B5.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 3
Yes I have the doe she’s come to me pregnant and she killed three of her four babies and was trying to kill this one so I removed her and when I place the baby on the mum’s belly she suckles for a second then gives up

It is definitely a tricky thing to hand-feed kits! I found I had to let the kit be the one to swallow the milk and not actually try to get it into the kit. Just putting a little milk on their tongue and waiting while they swallowed it, then adding a tiny bit more, etc. That way there is much less chance for them to aspirate it. It takes longer, but I only did it twice a day for my kits, so I put up with it. I hope she makes it!

I can’t find who told me to get her probiotics to mix with the formula but I got Pro-C professional it’s a pro and prebiotic powder
My question is how much and when please

thank you from me and Dandelion xxx

Attachments

• 9051BE00-737F-4FD7-A6AE-CB751640DBCB.png
    9051BE00-737F-4FD7-A6AE-CB751640DBCB.png
    221.1 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 3
Here are my fed and not fed kits
004-56.jpg

Left is fed, full tummy, fat and the right kit is thin, wrinkly and skinny.
Thank you, as a newbie this is very helpful!

Latest posts

Back