Register

Fed vs. Unfed KIt Pictures

Addressing the special needs of the breeding doe and her kits. Includes nutrition, gestation, nest boxes and materials, and tips to ensure survival of the young.
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Re: Fed vs. Unfed KIt Pictures

Post Number:#16  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:41 am

Maggie,

when do the does usually feed? Dawn and dusk? Poppy has kits now and they were "popping" when I felt them in the nest, so must be hungry. It is not yet light out this morning.
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

Site Admin
10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,409.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby MaggieJ » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:37 pm

Dawn and dusk are popular, but does don't always read the manual. Sometimes it takes a while, even a day, before the doe's milk comes in. I hope by now they have been fed.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:09 pm

Poppy kindled in the middle of the night, so no worries yet. I just checked them, and they were content, but didn't have fat bellies. I will continue to check them every hour or two, until I see fat tummies. Both Blue and Mysterious had fed their kits... funny, I bred their Mom so if either daughter had trouble I could foster to her, and if anything it looks to be the other way around.
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,605.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby pastelsummer » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:29 pm

awesome thanks i can keep this in mind when these new babies come!
Elizabeth
wife of g 9/06
mamma to
Sissy 6/07
Bubba 3/09
Princess 9/11
Living at
The Ranch
writing about our life in
my blog
my poetry

BunnyBucks: 1,580.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby rittert3 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:20 pm

I've got a doe pulling hair and a 1 week old runt thats not being fed, can I give it to the olther doe or will she not foster until she kindles?

Site Admin
10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Canada Female

Post Number:#21  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:30 pm

I would wait until she kindles and then give it to her. In the meantime, try flipping the doe that is its mother and letting it have a feeding or two to keep it going.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
tracie123

Post Number:#22  Unread postby rittert3 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:33 pm

Ok I'll go see if I can man handle her into it. The other doe is only 23 days along but is BIG and has her milk in already, so I think she's going to be really early.

Site Admin
Canada Female

Post Number:#23  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:37 pm

Ouch! That's too long to wait! Hope flipping the doe works... Otherwise I don't see much hope for the runt. :(
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

Post Number:#24  Unread postby rittert3 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:16 pm

I tried it in the cage and she about kicked him out of my hand so I tried again pinning her upside down in a plywood box and got it done. At first it was so hungry it couldn't decide on a nipple but finnaly settled down and nursed for 4 minutes or so. I guess this is my new morning and night chore for a few days.

__________ Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:16 pm __________

Thanks Maggie

BunnyBucks: 2,520.00

Post Number:#25  Unread postby jessie15273 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:58 pm

Thank you so much! I just had my first litter of mini Rex and wasn't sure if one was getting fed enough. According to these pictures he looks good

Post Number:#26  Unread postby rittert3 » Sat May 05, 2012 1:51 am

I fed that kit 3 times flipping the doe and it's been full ever since :) thanks for your help, Maggie!

Site Admin
Canada Female

Post Number:#27  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sat May 05, 2012 6:58 am

Glad it worked, Rittert3! :) Sometimes all they need is a few good feedings to be able to hold their own.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
rittert3

BunnyBucks: 235.00

Post Number:#28  Unread postby AngelsGirl » Mon May 07, 2012 9:22 am

This is very helpful! I have a doe who is a first timer and this way i can make sure she is taking good care of them :)
Jesus Loves You! He gave his ONLY begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him shall be SAVED! :D Message me if you would like to know more, its life changing :)

BunnyBucks: 4,276.00

Post Number:#29  Unread postby WildWolf » Mon May 14, 2012 5:03 pm

I haven't bred rabbits, but I'm looking into it...
What do you mean mean by flipping the doe over? I know that my doe hates being picked up- she'll kick and squirm- so how do you get a rabbit onto its back? And I heard someone mention stroking its forehead...? How do you hold the rabbit so you don't hurt it? Thanks!
The Wabbit Warren- warren of wonderful wabbits.

BunnyBucks: 10,745.00

Post Number:#30  Unread postby AnnClaire » Tue May 15, 2012 4:43 am

Hi WildWolf,

First, welcome to Rabbit Talk!

As for flipping a doe, it is just as it sounds. With a doe that struggles, you will have to gain control of her first. I find that a football-type hold in one arm with a hand supporting her behind her front elbows works pretty well as long as the back legs are below your arm. A long sleeved, heavy shirt also helps protect your arms/skin :D Also, putting the baby to be fed in a small box or tub with something soft that you can set next to you is helpful.

Once you have her settled down, and you are sitting down, move her to your lap, facing you and gently tip her backwards. If she starts to kick and struggle, I find that holding her with both hands around her body under her front elbows is a good restraining hold that allows you to simply lift and extend your arms to keep her back feet from kicking you. Remember, she isn't doing this to be mean or bad, but because she is a prey animal and scared to death. Just go slow and let her struggle in each position until she quits. Do not let her get her back feet/claws into you or your shirt as once she has a purchase, she can flip herself out of your hold if it isn't firm enough :lol:

Once she has quit struggling and you have her on her back with her head at your knees, gently hold her chest down with one hand, being mindful of where her back feet are, and stroke her forehead from her nose to her ears with a couple of fingertips until she trances. Once you think she is tranced, try moving one of her feet very gently and if it will stay in the position you move it to, she is tranced. Any sudden movement can bring her out of it, and sometimes it takes a couple of times for the deeper trance to set in, so, again, go slowly and keep stroking.

When the doe is tranced and will stay that way for a minute or so, take the kit out and place it on the middle of the doe's belly. The kit will find the teat and latch on. I find that it is easier for me to slip the doe in between my legs so that the kit will not fall off her, and a towel keeps her fur from covering me :D The kit will go from teat to teat until the doe lets her milk down, so don't give up if the kit doesn't get anything the first time. Try again in a couple of hours ... closer to when she nurses the litter.

If you have more than 2 that need supplemental feedings, you might have better luck if you remove all the larger kits from the nest until after you see "milk bellies" on the smallest ones, then put the larger ones back.

Another good time to supplement kits is 12 hours after the doe nurses the litter ... she has milk again and can nurse the litter 2x per day ... my meat rabbit doe will nurse 2x per day the first week (now that she is experienced)
cheers - AnnClaire

The following user would like to thank AnnClaire for this post
averydeadbird, dangerbunny, Lightnin1960, PatS, WildWolf

PreviousNext