Fear, anger to happiness!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
I was told tonight that I may need to get rid of my rabbits.
ALL of them.

ACK!!!!!!!!!

I start trying to figure things out.

then hubby dear helped me find the bylaws page of my municipality. i found this:

PART 6 – DOMESTIC BIRDS AND ANIMALS
6.1 In urban areas, no person shall possess or harbor any domestic fowl or rabbit(s) unless the same is or are enclosed in a pen or in a fenced area, or housed in a suitable and comfortable structure, which is located a reasonable distance from neighbouring properties.
6.2 In urban areas, no person shall possess or harbor more than twenty (20) in total of the domestic fowl and rabbits referred to in Section 6.1, except where there is an established aviary or rabbitry and except where such activities existed prior to the date of the passing of this by-law.

Guess how many rabbits I am over??

TWO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to be down by one under the limit.

So I have three rabbits to rehome, possibly four since I didnt count J's bunny..

That sucks!!!

The good side, at least they dont have limit of only one. :oops:

So now I have a decision to make...which four go.

who stays is easy. Slip, Rosie, Penny, Damian, Oscar, Random

Who goes...not so easy
Harlequin does: Friend bounce (strike 2 doe), Kendra (rescue), Sender, Bluebelle, Shelley and Cora. I only have room for three does. Oh.. and Random the buck. Jason is only a show bun so he can go as well.

Mini Rex. Slip (stays), Penny (stays) and Kristi, Party Girl (stay till replaces herself) Slip's daughter baby - yet unnamed, Kristi and Mary. Might be an easy decision...get rid of Mary and Kristi as both have on going health issues. I have three bucks: Ben, Oscar and Damian. Just bought Damian, Oscar placed first in his group at a rabbit show, so it will be my lovely Ben who will need to go.

Holland Lops. Rosie (stays until I have a daughter from her), Dolly, Panda, and then my two chinchilla coloured girls - Silver and Lily. Two bucks - Wiggers and JJ (only need one) - should be an easy decision, but isn't... I like wiggers but he's non-pedigreed, JJ I don't like but he is pedigreed and typey. Personality... or type... hmmm....

Polish - three bucks, only need one or two. And two does.... Or get rid of all of them.. but I like my polish. Will probably only keep a breeding trio and hope that my buck never dies - as crossing breeding polish to mini rex overall I think NOT a good idea. :)

AH....I hate making decisions like this. But one must do what one must do.

Oh...can't forget... I need a cage for J's bunny!

Oh no!! How did this happen? I would suggest maybe cutting back and concentrating on one breed? That is if you will continue breeding for show, if you want to remain pet/meat only then crossbreeding isn't a problem for pets. I don't know about everyone else but I find Hollands especially hard to breed for show as there are so many different body parts that need to be improved through breeding that one actually needs alot more breeders for that breed.

so i'm down to five rabbits that I need to rehome in order to be within town limits of rabbits.

I've decided to just keep on polish pair, three meat does and buck. Will probably get down to two does and one buck. I've pretty much decided who stays/goes of the mini rex, and still working through the holland lops.

I'd completely get rid of the polish except miss lucy is just a heart grabber so she stays, and if she stays a buck needs to stay as well.

Back