fat

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbitdog

Reaction score
Question:
Is rabbit fat good for cooking?

Background:
We love pork fat and try to save as much as possible when butchering hogs.
We love chicken fat for flavor.
We like beef fat.
We hate deer fat and try to remove every last piece of it when processing/canning.

Today, I had 4 large rabbits that a friend couldn't butcher on time due to last minute travel requirements. He gave them to me to get them out of the pipeline. They were about 15 or 16 weeks old (3 bucks, 1 doe) and quite chunky. However, they were also LOADED with fat. I removed all most of it before canning but wondered if it was better to keep it. Generally, it is not an issue when I butcher on time.
So, what's the answer .... good or bad (in cooking/canning)?

Rabbit fat goes rancid VERY quickly. Some people do like it, if they are able to save it quickly. Others don't care for it.

You can always give it a try. :)

I like to use some of the fat from around the kidneys when I saute the liver, kidneys and heart. Other than that, I have not found a good use for it. It's only rarely that we have had a fat rabbit--and then only an older doe or two.

I don't care for it but it doesn't have a strong taste like other fats do. For me it's more a texture issue than taste. I don't care for any fat.

Latest posts

Back