Fair week

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaR

Reaction score
Its fair week once again :runaround: We already had our dog show on Monday, some ups and downs with that :angry:

First my son showed Lexi, the guide dog foster, which involves doing the canine good citizen test, which she passed. Judge was impressed with her behavior since she is a 10 month old golden retriever, which as he stated don't usually get a brain until they are 2 years old :lol: My daughter just did the Dog care project, which involved a book poster and questions, not sure how she did, which brings me to the bad stuff :evil:

Every year, when my son shows even though he is the only one that shows a guide dog project, he gets either a participation ribbon, if the dog doesn't pass the test or a first place ribbon if he does pass the test. This year... nothing, they even forgot about him showing, so they had to squeeze him in! Which is ridiculous how can they forget when we have been doing this project for the last 10 years! Not to mention he went to the training classes they had. He was a little disappointed that he didn't get anything since this is going to be his last year showing dogs, we will not be fostering another puppy until the new baby is older, and he is not interested in doing obedience or showmanship with the dogs we have.

For my daughter, as some of you may remember has a learning disability, and extreme shyness. I managed to talk her into taking the Dog care project, just to see if she likes it. The judge was very nice, he was told about her LD and her IEP, he was very kind and patient with her, despite the fact that she almost got sick before she went to be judged, by the time it was over she was feeling much better and even happy with herself for doing it. She even said that maybe next year she wants to show a dog in the ring! I was so happy and proud of her, I almost cried right there! :D There was 5 kids in her class (junior A) so she was supposed to get at least a 5th place ribbon, like I said I don't know how well she did so she could have placed higher, but for some reason this year they only awarded the first place kid with a ribbon and trophy, no other ribbons were handed out or even mentioned! :evil: My daughter was looking forward to getting a ribbon and seeing where she placed.

My son is 14 so while he was a little mad that he put in all that work and didn't get any kind of recognition, he got over it quick and said oh well. My daughter on the other hand is a little more upset about it, she worked hard on studying the questions, she even had another member help her, which for her to get up the nerve to ask someone to help her is a big deal! It would have been a real boost to her confidence to have a ribbon to show to her friends and to show to her IEP teachers when she goes back to school. She seems to be doing better today, not as upset, we rewarded the kids with a special trip to the ice cream stand for their hard work.

Do you think I am wrong for being upset? I still need to talk to the other advisors but I am giving it a couple of days for me to cool down. Heat+pregnancy= better chill out so my emptions don't get the best of me :lol:

Tomorrow is the rabbit my daughter has her 2 lionheads to show hopefully that will go smoother :lol:

JessicaR":1rwi4cjr said:
For my daughter, as some of you may remember has a learning disability, and extreme shyness.

I read somewhere that putting people who are shy/ have social anxiety into a theater group actually helps. It gives the kid sort of a script to use in everyday life. I dunno if that would help, just a thought.

Its fair week once again :runaround: We already had our dog show on Monday, some ups and downs with that :angry:

Fair week was a couple weeks ago for us! Oh my gosh, I'm just glad we only have to do it once a year. :lol:

Do you think I am wrong for being upset? I still need to talk to the other advisors but I am giving it a couple of days for me to cool down. Heat+pregnancy= better chill out so my emptions don't get the best of me :lol:

No, you are not wrong to be upset. My fair actually stopped giving out ribbons, and instead gave out money. Showmanship, though, we did get ribbons. Just not for breed.

That's why we signed her up for 4H her therapist said that it would help her gain to more confidence to talk to people she normally wouldn't, as opposed to talking to the same group of people.

The kids get premiums too, but money is just... well money, they spend it on treats at the fair and then its gone, the ribbons get saved and are memories for the kids when they are older. My 18 year old still has all his ribbons and trophies from showing, even though they are no longer on a shelf being displayed he still looks at them every once in a while and remembers all the fun he had.

I too am glad fair is only once a year! The nonstop running really wears you out by the end of the day I am like :wr_sleep:

Back