Exhaust Fan

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pheasant283

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with using a thermostatic controlled exhaust fan in there rabbit building. With warm weather on the way thought it might be a good idea to install some sort of inexpensive thermostatic controlled exhaust fan, in the garage.

I have one of those "goes in and goes out" fans in the upstairs room that the rabbits are in. (yes,they're inside my house). Works BEAUTIFULLY!. I put it in to vent the smell...kind of like a super bathroom fan, I guess. Works for that, but also keeps the room quite even in temp without my having to open the heater vent into the room. In the afternoon, with afternoon sun streaming in through the windows (west facing room) it's been doing a good job.

The only problem I've had with it is dust/rabbit fur. The stuff tends to clog up the intake, so I have to clear it at least once a week. Now that I think about it tho....that means that the fan is acting as an air filter, too. sort of.

If you are getting lots of dust on your fan, you are probably getting a build up of dust on the leading edge of each fan blade.

This cuts down the efficiency of the fan. So unplug the fan, open the housing and wipe off any dust on the fan blades. Reassemble. When you turn the fan on, you should notice a significant difference. It's surprising how much effect there is from a small layer of dust and hair.

You can use cheesecloth as a "pre-filter" for your fans. Someone suggested putting elastic around the cloth to snap on and snap off like a shower cap.

See my blog for more info on fan maintenance
http://therabbitgeek.blogspot.com/2008/ ... clean.html

Have a good day!

I"ve been thinking of putting one in the garage. I"ve also been concerned with the buildup of hair and fur in the fan and causing a fire. Obviously regular cleaning should take care of that. I"ve wanted to put one in the rafters of the garage to vent the hot air out one of the vents in the roof but that would make cleaning it a bit of a pain so I might mount it on one of the doors.

The other concern is if the power went out the fan wouldn't work so I was thinking of a battery backup of some sort.

We put one of those whirly thingy vents on the roof of our rabbit shed. made a huge difference and doesn't need hydro. We do however still use a fan down low to bring fresh air in from the window.

Back