Exercising my right brain again

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2CrazyFools

Rainy Days Rabbitry
Reaction score
So after I said something to my husband about an idea not being plausible and he replied with, "Gosh, can't live in the hypothetical with me?!" I realized I've been grossly neglecting my right brain! I've been exercising and nurturing my left brain with calculations and analyzing problems without even giving a leash to my creativity. I need to balance things back out so I got myself a cute little sketch book and I am trying to hold myself to a bunny a day, :lol: The rules I have in place for myself are that they are sketches and NOT perfect finished products that look lifelike (I had often found myself wrapped into spending way too long on a piece and I believe that's what helped with the burn out years ago) and therefor erasing is forbidden! :x Trying to really remove my left brain from the equation, lol.

Last time I "truly" sketched was back in 2009/2010 ish, and I simply allowed it to just fall off and disappear. Time to bring it back so my husband doesn't rip out his hair with frustration due to my iron clad literal mind. #MyBad.

So here are a couple buns that have appeared in my sketching. Pips showed up because someone posted about their dog getting their rabbit and it hurt all over again. Goodness, why do I allow myself to get so attached?

DSC01115.jpg
DSC01116.jpg

"Hopefully" there'll be more to come, lol, I'm really trying to hold myself to this.

Wonderful sketches, Crazy! You have a gift for bringing out the personalities of the buns. :) Keep at it and do post some more!

Ah, your sweet little Pips. I think we all have fond, bittersweet memories of that little bun! :lilbunny:

Thank you both, lets just hope I'm able to keep it up! Here's a new one, this is Bonnie. It was a little tougher today, not sure if it's because the subject is still pretty new to the rabbitry and so it didn't flow as well or maybe I'm just out of it today, lol.

DSC01124.jpg

The real subject:
Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 1.48.39 PM.png

Her and her partner Clyde (tomorrow's inspiration) were free CL bunnies, ending my free rabbit spree of last month (I ended up with 34 total acquisitions, only kept these two) I'm not sure what they are, lop mixes of some sort, but they are large. 11 pound buns and the male is definitely underweight, Bonnie's probably in good shape now, she doesn't feel as boney but Clyde still needs some BOSS and calf manna. Clyde's got such a HUGE beefy head I just love it, lol. He should be a fun one tomorrow.

Even if it was more difficult, it turned out very nicely, Crazy. :goodjob:

Just guessing, but it seems to me that you might not be as emotionally invested in Bonnie as in Southern Belle and Pips. You caught their personalities so well partly because of that.

I like the new sketch very much though. Bonnie looks serious and contemplative and those lop ears do accentuate that.

Keep on sketching! And sharing too! :D

I think your sketches are fabulous! I canNOT draw at all and I'm so green with envy for people that can. You did a great job! And I find it hilarious that you're so left brained that you made rules for using your right brain. LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol: I think it'll be a great outlet for you.

I think your new bunnies are English Lop mixes :)

We had separate art classes with qualified teachers from 2nd grade through 8th in my school but I can't draw stick figures. My hand just never would do what I can see so clearly in my brain. I trace perfectly and when we did a project where we blew up a picture, broke it down into squares, and then copied the lines from each square to our squares it came out absolutely perfect but free hand the entire thing doesn't happen. I do work great with more 3D material and have some interesting clay, plaster, wood, and similar items. I can also paint 3D ceramics well enough people requested some from me but my mom squashed all artistic expression as a waste of money to buy the stuff just to paint it and set it around. I find it hard to stay on task with anything I think partially from that and partially I just prefer physical interests so much that when I can't do them it takes a lot more to occupy my brain than I get from small, low materials art projects or puzzles.

MaggieJ":32jz6eps said:
Just guessing, but it seems to me that you might not be as emotionally invested in Bonnie as in Southern Belle and Pips. You caught their personalities so well partly because of that.

I agree with this, I do have a lot of emotional ties to the bottle babies and that likely helped with capturing them better. Bonnie's just a girl I've had around for like, two weeks, :lol: Sorry girl. I'll redraw her later down the road, lol.

alforddm":32jz6eps said:
Maybe French lops?

That's been suggested but the skull structure is definitely off for that. The skulls appear more English Lop, but those ears obviously aren't. I just weighed them two days ago to see how they were doing, Bonnie feels good to the touch so I'll stop over feeding her and she's done at 12 pounds 3 ounces. Clyde is still boney at 12 pounds 6 ounces so I'll probably get him up to 13 pounds before stopping.

At this point I'm thinking perhaps EL x Flemish? or FL x NZ? Not sure, but I like them. Clyde has the bulkiest dang head with weird pronounced ridges... I pet his head all the time, lol. I just like it.

faiththequeen":32jz6eps said:
I think your sketches are fabulous! I canNOT draw at all and I'm so green with envy for people that can. You did a great job! And I find it hilarious that you're so left brained that you made rules for using your right brain. LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol: I think it'll be a great outlet for you.

I think your new bunnies are English Lop mixes :)

Well thank you Faith! And that's a good point, I literally made rules for using my right brain, hahahaha.

At this point I'm just going with "Large Lop Mixes" :D

SarniaTricia":32jz6eps said:
Your sketches have inspired me to pull out my paints and paint some bunnies!!
I do freehand acrylics when I need to "Exercise"..... hurts a little less than "no erasing", because tomorrow you can paint over...lol...

Oh how cool! You'll have to share for sure, I love seeing paintings. I tried my hand at it a few times and just got frustrated and went back to pencil, lol.

akane":32jz6eps said:
I do work great with more 3D material and have some interesting clay, plaster, wood, and similar items.
Where I used to live we had an over abundance of red clay so I made so many things out of it.. not sure why I stopped, I guess I probably got heavier into pencil and paper and forgot about it. I admit I have thought about taking up whittling.. you should share some of your items! I'd love to see those too. <br /><br /> __________ Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:14 pm __________ <br /><br /> Oh, that's right, I have some sketches to post. Whoopsies.

As promised, Clyde! He turned out much better than Bonnie, poor girl.

DSC01383.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 2.11.38 PM.png

This morning Foxtrot stole my interest, she's hitting that stuffed animal stage and I'm just swooning over her. I should update the Astrex thread with the two kits, they are turning out beautifully.

DSC01392.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 2.14.13 PM.png

These are awesome! :D Can't wait to see more. I envy your ear-foreshortening abilities. :lol: I catch myself avoiding that angle every time.
Pips is my favorite. :oops: Love that baby tummy.

OK... so not my best work... but I had fun and the Magpie Harlequin turned out like all Magpie Harlequins do.... one flaw that makes them not quite perfect markings....lol :lol:
(I realized after I was all done that the feet don't alternate.... Anyone who breeds Harlequin knows how common an almost perfectly marked rabbit is... so I'm calling this one life like... :lol: )

I also painted a sunflower with a bumble bee... but didn't take a photo of it to upload... :)

Harley Painting.png

Tricia, your Harley looks like he's just about to come out with a witty comment, maybe a little on the sarcastic side. :lol:

I used to do some acrylic painting, just for fun. I found animals much tougher than landscapes. For detail work, I preferred sketching, but I LOVE colour, so painting let me have fun with that. It's all about the process, after all.

This is really fun thread! :D

Back