Evelyn & Timber, Fiona's kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While Fiona, the NZR, (new-zealand-red-fatty-t23572.html?hilit=Fatty) has been moved on to her new home, I kept Evelyn and Timber, who are her Mini Rex crossed children. Both rabbits carry the red markings on their face, but Timber's is the best. While he is not a super body specimen, I love his coloration--he kept more of Fiona's yellow & red recessive coloring. Evelyn has Fiona's body type, and is a very nice agouti, but she has her dad's black undercoat in her agouti. (Blow on them and she's black, he's mostly yellow.)

This summer I'll give them time to grow up! I'd like to breed Timber to both Lexi and Evelyn and see what genetics come calling. Broken agoutis, blacks, and hopefully some reds will come through, while working up a meaty body type. Guess I'll be having fun!!!

Attachments

• TimberEvPot (3)a.jpg
    TimberEvPot (3)a.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 1,988
  • Evelyn (9)a.jpg
    Evelyn (9)a.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 1,988
  • TimberFacea.jpg
    TimberFacea.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 1,988
  • Timber (1)a.jpg
    Timber (1)a.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 1,988
  • Evelyn (5)a.jpg
    Evelyn (5)a.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 1,988
Wow, you can feed them oats? I didn't know that :x Is it like oatmeal or something? Cuz if it is ... well, I've got a lot of that.

Thanks! Marinea, you have NZRs--what are my chances of bringing a nice red back into these lines? I'm looking to breed up 5-7lb rabbits and I currently love the red coloration. I know I have to keep back any red babies and breed back, but should I keep back the yellow'd agouti reds for rebreeding? And should I rebreed back to Timber since he's carrying the visable coat color?

don't be surprised if they end up looking quite similar when they mature. :) They are so close in colour now, and babies change a lot when they grow up when they have coat colours like this.

They look like total sweethearts though, their faces say "we're calm happy buns"

EnglishSpot":q3xe27y6 said:
Thanks! Marinea, you have NZRs--what are my chances of bringing a nice red back into these lines? I'm looking to breed up 5-7lb rabbits and I currently love the red coloration. I know I have to keep back any red babies and breed back, but should I keep back the yellow'd agouti reds for rebreeding? And should I rebreed back to Timber since he's carrying the visable coat color?

I would love to help you with this, but I am woefully deficient in genetics. I can tell you this- I have an agouti doe that gives me reds when bred to my buck.

I would ask this in the Colors and Genetics area. I am sure Dood, and others, will help you. And to tell the truth, I would love the answer, too. :)

funnies50":292bqmmq said:
Wow, you can feed them oats? I didn't know that :x Is it like oatmeal or something? Cuz if it is ... well, I've got a lot of that.

Rolled oats (old fashioned oatmeal) can be fed to rabbits dry. My rabbits love them. Like anything else though, don't over do it.

Latest posts

Back