EIGHT BABIES!!!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shara

Reaction score
So, today was the actual day 31 for Spooky (I had miscounted, and thought she was due last week :p ) I caught it on "day 32", last week, thank goodness. So I have been telling hubby, "she's gonna have at least seven, maybe eight, I want eight". So the pooper had eight babies! No torts at all, which was a little diappointing, and no Siamese Sables, but maybe some of the dark ones are veinna marked, they look like they may have white toes...AND....I got a broken blue! (I think). Its super light, and pretty. The only one that color. Here hoping its a doe!

Some have chomp marks on them, two on their backsides, one on a front leg. a couple seem to have bloody residue on their heads. That all bothers me. But they all seem fed to me, and reasonably healthy.

I gave momma an oatmeal mash and some extra greens, because she has a big litter to feed, and I am proud of this litter. She has had a litter of 5, and 6, before that I know of...

So, I am curious. Can a doe that has a large litter have a hard time birthing the babies?
DSCI2458.jpg

DSCI2459.jpg

DSCI2463.jpg

DSCI2466.jpg

DSCI2468.jpg

Oh, and I had a question about brokens, Vienna genes, and nose markings. All of the broken babies are missing their nose color, they all have white on their ears (ok, one has half a butterfly) Does the vienna gene have any bearing on facial markings of a broken?

You can have VM brokens. I know several people suggest keeping brokens out of your BEW lines for that reason. There's no way to know for sure if a broken is VM or not. Especially if neither of the parents is a BEW but just carriers.

AWWWWWW... I can't wait to get babies. I love the broken but alas mine are not.... SO very nice of you to take time to post pics. I can't wait to see them grow.

I think it's possible that she either had to pull a kit or two out...or moved them using teeth. Since they can't just pickup a kit easily, because of those nasty sharp shearing teeth, I suspect they don't have much choice when one is stuck.

The bloody residue on the head...seems like I always see that on a kit from a large birth. (not that I've seen a LOT of kindles). Mama-san, White Doe, and Ethel all had at least 1 kit with some blood. Afterbirth, I would think.

I agree with Ann... looks like the doe had to pull the ones with tooth marks, so don't hold that against her... They might have suffocated in the birth canal otherwise. What gorgeous little brokens! Hope they brought a big smile to your face, Shara!

ooh, a broken siamese sable? neat! cant wait to see their fur! My first thought was maybe they were pulled...Shes a great mommy in the past, so Im sure theyll do well. I was so excited i woke hubby when I found them, and so hes been grumpy all day, lol

The pic w/ the two brokens side by site is really cute. I love their tiny tails.

The 'really light one' isn't a sable. not by far. X3

BUT some of the others appear like they could be. The one with tooth marks looks a little seal/sable.
I don't think any are light enough to be true sables...
Might I ask what color the mom and dad are?

It is possible that the very light colored one is a Broken Lilac.
Just a thought, What colors are the Sire and Dam?
Ottersatin.

Well, dad is a broken black, and I think mom is a sable. Her previous litter icluded 2 siamese sable, one sable, and a blue tort (along with two broken black, like that daddy)

I am sure they are, at least a little, but I havent seen them since they've been born, thanks to this stupid court thing. I feel quite cheated out of playing with them every day. :(

Saturday I go back, I will see them either Sunday or Monday, depending on how fast we get out. I got animal control called on me yesterday for "abandoned, abused" animals. Yeah right, hubby was going back everyday to check on my rabbits, dogs, and cat, and we were paying someone to feed, water, and walk the animals.

So hubs spent yesterday moving them to a guy's farm. When it rains it pours, huh?<br /><br />__________ Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:24 am __________<br /><br />they will be adorable and big when i see them next! I cant wait!

You didn't need that! I don't know who would do that, but animal control must have been able to see that there was nothing wrong with their care.

I had animal control called on me once because someone said my geese had no shelter. Nonsense, of course, but geese prefer to be outside all day, regardless of the weather. They were tucked up in their shed for the night when the humane society officer came by and he could see at a glance that there was no cause for concern.

Make sure to bring your camera! Sorry about all the pains you've had to deal with lately. I hope you get some fantastically boring normal days soon.

they actually didnt come out until the animals were moved, a freind tipped me off, that she had heard a neighbor and my old boss (who has turned evil, now that they have hired a new manager) saying they had called. They, of course, would have found the animals well cared for, but I still have no clue how many I can legally have, and now I have 19, so we figured better to move them out of city limits for now.

Latest posts

Back