Effects of herbs for rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Big Mountain Blue Sage is the state flower for Nevada.... I can walk outside my front door and pick some fresh. Have you noticed any issues with the rabbits in regards to the pollen if ingested?

No I have noticed no problems at all from feeding a big handfull to any rabbit "off feed" or with loose stool, -- the only time i feed it is if the rabbit is sick. there are substances that accumulate, and could harm domestic rabbits if fed all the time.
I feed a heaping tablespoon of wormwood "on the side" [not mixed in the feed]for a wormer in non pregnant does, and bucks 1x/year, some rabbits eat it all over night and some take 2 days to clean it up.

According to this page, skullcap is an herb that can be used as a mild sedative to help ease stress/anxiety in rabbits. Along with chamomile and red clover.

I have a bunch of skullcap and stumbled upon the info while looking up whether or not it's safe to include in her feed. So not really any firsthand experience with it yet.

Barberry root bark, used as an antibiotic for treating infections, and as a decoction for treating infections, pinkeye and eye infections in animals and people.
people=1 tsp/cup for decoction,[decoction= simmer for 20 min -then add water to bring up to origional volume] loading dose = 1 tsp [1 cup] 2x first day, after that 1/2 tsp/day 5 to 7 days - use above formula for eye drops for pinkeye at least 3x/day, [should be a 3 day treatment time], but-- very effective.
Barberry kills most strep infections, [including strep throat, but is more effective against strep throat ,if equal parts slippery elm inner bark is added to decoction]
When I have a sick rabbit I like to put some [1 tbl spoon] barberry in the pen separate from the feed so they can eat as much as they want/need with out sorting it out of the feed. -it usually lasts them about a week before they clean it all up.

Anyone else use Mullein ( Verbascum thapsus) for rabbits with respiratory problems, inflammation or topically for inflammation, irritation and, itch?

I use it routinely here on humans and rabbits. It works as an anti inflammatory, hypotensive, and is mucilaginous so, helps itching and irritation too.

I five 1tsp fresh per 5 lbs of rabbit twice a day for internal and, use a paste of dried, ground Mullien and mineral or olive oil topically for rabbits. It's good for anything that qualifies as snuffles, any external irritation or inflammation and, basically any time aspirin would help if the rabbit were human. I don't give more that 5 days straight without giving the rabbit 4 days off the herb.

This is great! I have been looking for something like this. So glad I found this forum.

Artery. 1980;7(5):428-37.
Effect of garlic feeding on regression of experimental atherosclerosis in rabbits.
Bordia A, Verma SK.
Abstract
Thirty six rabbits were fed a cholesterol-containing diet for 3 months to produce atherosclerosis. Twelve rabbits were killed at the end of this period for baseline observations (Group I). The remaining animals were divided into two groups; Group II was fed stock diet and Group II was fed essential oil of garlic added to the stock diet. All the animals were killed at the end of 12 months. Blood lipids and fibrinolysis were monitored during the progression and regression phases. After cholesterol feeding was discontinued, serum total cholesterol and triglyceride concentration decreased gradually in both the groups. However, there was an increase in HDL levels in the garlic fed groups. Cholesterol feeding resulted in 80.9% atheromatous involvement of aortic surface in Group I. This remained almost the same (71.1%) after 9 months of stock feeding (Group II) while in the garlic fed group only 30.4% of the aortic surface had lesions. Correspondingly, the aortic lipid content of garlic fed animals was reduced by 72%, while in the control group there was no significant reduction. The data suggests that cholesterol is depleted from experimentally induces atherosclerosis by garlic administration

I was just looking around the wide wide world of the web and found this
:p site:http://riseandshinerabbitry.com/2012/06/09/medicinal-herbs-for-rabbits/
I was thinking the CHAMOMILE would make the butchering of rabbits easier on the rabbit and the person.

Blue Cohosh - where do you purchase this and does it matter what form it comes in? I am coming across it online as both a dried herb and a liquid form. Does it matter which and how much in either case do you administer?

One of our does that was bred kindled late her last litter and the kits were too large. None of them made it. I would like to be prepared this time and discourage a late delivery.

Thank you!

What form of Goats Rue can be used? I noticed there aren't many forms listed on any of the herbs mentioned, so that is something to add-but this is a great list and tool, thanks for putting it together!

Latest posts

Back