Register

Effective Waste Management?

Advice on purchasing or constructing cages and hutches for your rabbitry.
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 500.00

Re: Effective Waste Management?

Post Number:#31  Unread postby guardianoasis » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:41 am

Question about using pine shavings or pine pellets in your trays.

We were going to use the angled drop pans for our rabbits but due to the need to fit as many buns in a small barn as possible we voted to do trays instead. We intend on using the droppings for our garden but have found that once the pellets expand there tends to be more pellets than droppings and our compost pile is becoming a pile of shavings that seem to take forever to break down.

Does anyone have any suggestions in fixing this? Maybe a sifter? The pellets break down to a super fine wood but then what do you do with all the urine stained wood?
Currently breeding American Chinchilla and Satin rabbits.
Guardian Oasis Website Guardian Oasis Facebook

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 5,388.00

Post Number:#32  Unread postby Rainey » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:25 pm

I've never used the shavings or pellets you mention, but we have a sawmill and use sawdust in our trays and just put the whole mess directly onto garden beds or into compost bins. We also use aged sawdust as mulch or to add organic matter to soil--have 3 piles so one is being used, one is aging, and the third is where we put the new sawdust. Don't know if the woody materials you are using would work in the same way, whether they'd need to age. The problem with fresh sawdust is that it is low in nitrogen but when it's urine-soaked maybe it would be ok. I do know that since we started using more sawdust we've had fewer fungal diseases. And it lasts longer in the soil than much other compost material. Between the sawmill and the rabbits, we've really improved our soil :)
Guess you'd need to look on the packaging and see if there are any things you wouldn't want in your soil in the pellets you use.

Post Number:#33  Unread postby guardianoasis » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:35 pm

Rainey wrote:I've never used the shavings or pellets you mention, but we have a sawmill and use sawdust in our trays and just put the whole mess directly onto garden beds or into compost bins. We also use aged sawdust as mulch or to add organic matter to soil--have 3 piles so one is being used, one is aging, and the third is where we put the new sawdust. Don't know if the woody materials you are using would work in the same way, whether they'd need to age. The problem with fresh sawdust is that it is low in nitrogen but when it's urine-soaked maybe it would be ok. I do know that since we started using more sawdust we've had fewer fungal diseases. And it lasts longer in the soil than much other compost material. Between the sawmill and the rabbits, we've really improved our soil :)
Guess you'd need to look on the packaging and see if there are any things you wouldn't want in your soil in the pellets you use.

Lately we've not been using anything. Just emptying the trays into a wheel burrow and dumping it but man I can't do that anymore with the smell. I'll have to look into it because I have no idea what's in the pellets. They are just bagged pellets from the store. I just remember when we did it before the mounds of droppings were mostly sawdust and not so much poop. I will have to figure something out because at some point I'd like to compost it all and package it for resale. Can't do that really if it's like 3/4ths sawdust.

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 654.00

Post Number:#34  Unread postby Shea » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:24 pm

I've always wet my pellets first. Add a bowl full to a bucket and a half cup of water, wait 5 min. Then use as needed. The sawdust still absorbs a lot and any leftover pellets absorb the rest. This way you only would need a cupful or less per tray.
When bedding horse stalls we tend to use only half a bag per 10×10 stall, wet, let expand then distribute.

Post Number:#35  Unread postby guardianoasis » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:31 am

Shea wrote:I've always wet my pellets first. Add a bowl full to a bucket and a half cup of water, wait 5 min. Then use as needed. The sawdust still absorbs a lot and any leftover pellets absorb the rest. This way you only would need a cupful or less per tray.
When bedding horse stalls we tend to use only half a bag per 10×10 stall, wet, let expand then distribute.

With the horses we did that too, except we used a whole bag but I had boarders paying for it and was technically a training facility so.... anyway.

I will have to try this ratio of water to pellets in a bucket and see how far it gets me. I don't mind composting all the shavings but man it takes forever and if I'm going to sell bags of poo I don't want it to be mostly shavings.

Previous