Easter Bunny Sales: What do you guys think?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On another forum I get to hear from those 'country' folks, and them having to hunt down and wipe out packs of feral dogs, and yotedogs, that came from.....

People dumping them in the 'country' where they killed cattle, passes diseases to farm and working dogs, etc. Hate it, that said, I am holding off breeding two does for a couple weeks so that the litter is better timed for Easter.

I don't breed for Easter or Christmas Bunnies,
but I do breed year-round so if somebody is looking
I usually have a bunny or two available.
When I fist started in Rabbits they were a big seller
at Easter and Christmas, now it seems to not be the gift of choice.
Nobody wants anything that they have to pay attention to!
Electronic thingamajigs are what's wanted.
Hey, maybe I should get into "Pet Rocks"!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Jack":1k9tzkpq said:
On another forum I get to hear from those 'country' folks, and them having to hunt down and wipe out packs of feral dogs, and yotedogs, that came from.....

People dumping them in the 'country' where they killed cattle, passes diseases to farm and working dogs, etc. Hate it, that said, I am holding off breeding two does for a couple weeks so that the litter is better timed for Easter.

My inlaws were horrified when they found out that growing up my summer job was hunting dogs. People would dump them off and they gather in packs they will go after cattle/calves. I hated doing it until I found one of our cows down. The dogs had caught her calving nad had eaten half the calf and started on the cows hind quarters. The poor thing was still trying to get up. A 22 isn't the best caliber to put a cow down with but it was perfect for those stupid dogs.

Sadly, while I understand want to save them all, I would rather a clean death than a slow one, and would gladly go after packs of wild dogs, as I view them as little different than yotes or wolves, they stay in the wild, and leave me and mine alone, I have no problems, then become a problem I took care of it. With rabbits, I hate the thought of a lonely rabbit in some filthy cage, but on the other hand, it does fulfill a demand, I have sold some, and I happen to know two fed the wolves (there is a healthy population locally... the rest were sold to adult homes (Which I hope were/are better than kids) unfortunately one went to the 'pet' breeder lady... I hate her ugly rexes, cause they suck (as examples of the breed) and they take up space I could use to sell my rabbits.

In the end, I would rather send mine to freezer camp than a questionable home, and I have...

Isn't it amazing how the times change year after year, day after day!
When I was first involve in rabbits times were different.
Children actually cared about animals of all types and took the time to gain knowledge
and give their pets what they needed. Ah, but that was such a long time ago,
or was it? When I was a 4H Rabbit club leader, I had no qualms about selling a rabbit as a pet.
In most cases the child and parents took part in the raising of the rabbit and became responsible
club members and were truly dedicated to their pets/herds of Rabbits.
It's a shame, but I feel that those days have slipped off into the sunset.
Now is the time for things that go WHIZZ BANG and at the speed of sound or at the very least
FASTER than the eye can see! There is no time to sit idly with a small furry animal and
take in the nuance of the things that take place in the life of a rabbit.
It's munching of the hay or lounging around in the heat of the day.
Things have got to move FASTER! There is no time to DELAY!
Perhaps pet rabbits ARE destined to become a thing of the past. :sorry:
Ottersatin :eek:ldtimer:

I dont have bunnies for Easter I sell most of my bunnies too 4H,the pets i do sell i sell from my home.i do my best too screen(interogate)buyers.I always offer too take back bunnies.i have a small rabbitry Netherland dwarfs dont have many babies anyway.

Week after week on Kijiji there are bunnies to sell or give away... "The kids have lost interest" or "We don't have time for it."

I have never sold a rabbit as a pet. I've sold a few to people wanting breeding stock for backyard rabbitries and I've sold a few, dispatched here, as meat. Other than that, they go into our own freezer. I don't want to have to wonder what becomes of them.

I've sold a few mismarked Harlies as pets and plenty to a local pet store. I tell them that I will take the rabbit back if needed, no questions asked, and only two people have taken me up on it. If it's going as a pet I ask that in 3 months, 6 months, and a year they email me a follow up on how Bunny is doing.

The pet store is also very good about providing my business card to buyers of any of their rabbits, whether they came from me or not. I'm also proud to note that I convinced our pet store to provide pedigrees with the bunnies I've sold, and quite a few folks have come back whose kid wants to show their pet bunny from the pet store in 4-H, and they got it from that pet store and knew to contact me.

Yaaaay!

I'm suprised that no one has mentioned acualy going to the house of person and checking if they aren't too far away or for pictures of rabbit in it cage. Also updates. I have started to despise easter acualy because alot of people buy rabbit and are not responsible. I hate it when the breeder is blamed and not the owner because the breeder obviously nows how to take care of their animal and the person who bought it and disposed of it should of never gotten a rabbit in first place. I hate it when people buy an animal and take bad care of it just so they can get money from a show.(my first flemish giant story) Also I would be wary of pet storeds because one near my house keeps the rabbit and guine pigs together.Only good thing this store does is seprate the males from females. I have seen alot of bite marks and injured guine pigs and rabbits at this pet store. Also one of the buns there was underage.
I would not try to breed rabbit so that the kits would be old enough to be sold because for reason I don't rember its bad to breed rabbits in winter.
make shure that who ever you are selling the rabbit to is not an impulse buyer. Also good luck

Back