Ear mites....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
bad looking case of it, too. inside ears all scabby.

Ivermectin injected? (if so, how much for a 10lb rabbit?) Ivermectin pour on? oil swabbed down in the ear? Pyrethrin mite control for kittens? (swabbed in)

I've found recommendations for all of the above. Which does this group of folks think I should try first?

I had to treat one of Fluffy's ears. I dribbled some baby oil into her ear, but accidentally dribbled way more than I meant to. In a matter of a few minutes, she had scratched most of the crusts out of her ear. I need to retreat, but I forget right off how many times I need to. Need to look it up.

EAR MITES

Are caused by the parasite Psoroptes Cuniculi which is a mite that likes to make it's home in the rabbit's ear canal. They irritate the rabbit to the point that the scratching can lead to infection.

SYMPTOMS

Shaking of the head, scratching the ears, and a brown waxy crusty substance will appear after awhile if not attended to.

TREATMENT

Place a few drops of any type of oil in the ears and massage the base of the ear gently to work the oil in. The oil will drown the mites. Treat one to three times a day for three days. repeat in ten days to get hatchlings.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I'd go with the oil first, Ann, but then I always go for the least medication needed. If you warm it very slightly, just to blood heat, it will be less uncomfortable for the rabbit and will also spread more easily. I prefer olive oil or vegetable oil to petroleum products such as mineral oil or baby oil, but that's just me. Both work.

If you have a squirt bottle with a small spout like those used for mustard or ketchup, it makes applying the oil a little easier. I think a small spray bottle would also work. The rabbit is going to shake its head furiously so wear old clothes and stand back once the oil is in.

I used the same stuff for ear mites as I did for snuffles, and it works like a charm. It's called Vet-Rx, it's packaged in a little dropper bottle, it runs about $5/bottle, and it cleared up mites very well without the mess you'd normally get with mineral oil.

Fluffy never exhibited the head shaking or the ear scratching, when one of us was there to witness it. The first I knew of something wrong was when I saw the crusts in her ear. Wish she'd helped me out a little, so I could have found it sooner. :(

Thank you for the treatment regimen, Ottersatin! I need to retreat. :)

Baby oil IS mineral oil- just perfume added

WARNING!!! I have had baby oil INJURE the skin in the ear canals and on the flaps of my dog's ears. I mistakenly thought it would not harm , because it WAS, after all, 'safe' for a delicate baby .The perfume that has been added can be dangerous--

Frosted Rabbits":1wdt4ap9 said:
Baby oil IS mineral oil- just perfume added

WARNING!!! I have had baby oil INJURE the skin in the ear canals and on the flaps of my dog's ears. I mistakenly thought it would not harm , because it WAS, after all, 'safe' for a delicate baby .The perfume that has been added can be dangerous--
You have to check the ingredients--some baby oil is still lanolin based, some is a mix, some is mineral oil--the "lanolin-free" variety. Lanolin is the kind of grease on sheep wool, it is an allergen for some people.

this was Johnsons baby oil-- mineral oil and 'fragrance' I check for lanolin due to my allergies-- You should have seen how I dress to shear a friends sheep!

Frosted Rabbits":19xp796g said:
this was Johnsons baby oil-- mineral oil and 'fragrance' I check for lanolin due to my allergies-- You should have seen how I dress to shear a friends sheep!
I can only imagine! :shock:

Back