Ear Infection!?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissVelveteen

Reaction score
On the 6th, I noticed my velveteen lop doe had been scratching at her ears to point of hair loss and scabbing. My barncat which often has close contact with her, had also been scratching at her ears. So while I saw nothing within the doe's ear, I treated them both for ear mites.
I have been using "Adams ear mite treatment" daily until yesterday, the 10th.
While my cat seems content and less scratchy, my doe had showed no signs of improvement, and in fact today I determined she has worsened. The base of her ear is red and irritated and within her ear she has scratch marks and waxy mucus-like discharge.
I have also noticed her fur becoming a little raggedy, but that may be the summer heat.

Well, it being Sunday, I don't have many places to go to purchase treatment. (I live in a small town)
I do have Microcyn Eye & Ear wash on hand, but it is used for "flushing and cleaning irritations to the eye and external ear". To me, this possible ear infection issue is likely an internal problem, but would it hurt to use the Ear wash within her ear? I have also decided to cease the ear-mite treatment, in-case she is reacting negatively to that. Is this a good idea?
I'd rather not bring her to the vet, but I have read ear-infections can be dangerous if they reach the brain. What are some effective treatments I can do at home?

Thank you.

My lops always have ear problems. It could be yeast infection in her ears also. My english lop got ear mites that turned into a yeast infection. I would try apple cider vinegar and see if that helps. It definitely will not hurt. Dilute it with water so it doesn't burn her raw ears. I ended up having to get an anti fungal spray to totally clear up her ears. If it is yeast you should at least see some improvement with the ACV. Do you have any antibiotics on hand? If not you can get some from a local feed store.

AmberRae":jslrpmru said:
My lops always have ear problems. It could be yeast infection in her ears also. My english lop got ear mites that turned into a yeast infection. I would try apple cider vinegar and see if that helps. It definitely will not hurt. Dilute it with water so it doesn't burn her raw ears. I ended up having to get an anti fungal spray to totally clear up her ears. If it is yeast you should at least see some improvement with the ACV. Do you have any antibiotics on hand? If not you can get some from a local feed store.

I have some apple cider vinegar somewhere around, so I'll try to see if it'll improve with that.
I unfortunately do not have any antibiotics on hand, but could make a trip to the feed store tomorrow. Any suggestions on which antibiotics to look for?

the standard antibiotic is pen-g, a penicillin injection. it's sold for cattle, so you'll have to dose appropriately. it's usually like .1cc/ml per lb or something along those lines.

The angoras here get ear mites fairly frequently and that can be cleared up with a tiny dab of Ivermectin paste. It's sold as a wormer for horses and a little dab about the size of a split pea put in their ear is enough to clear it up. But, I'm not a veterinary so my opinion isn't official.

Thank you all for the replies!
I decided to take her to the vet, because the ear infection seemed to be getting rapidly worse.

I have kept ya'll's suggestions in mind for future, but currently my vet has prescribed her an oral antibiotic called Enrofloxacin, 2 mls per day for 10 days.
I'm a little nervous about an oral antibiotic, and plan to give her probiotics aswell, after a call with the vet tomorrow.

Back