Dyeing her blankets?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverBlaze85

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I use big hospital sheets in Ollie's cage, and rotate her 2 (one in the cage, the other being washed and dried). The problem is, the other family members keep taking hers, so I spend a good deal of time going through towels and blankets trying to find hers! So I was ranting the other day, and I said I should dye them some off-the-wall color, so everyone can tell at a glance they're hers.

Mom took me as serious, and asked if the dye would hurt Ollie. I think it's a legit good idea, theory wise, but she's got a point. If I use a RIT dye to dye some 100% cotton blankets, will it hurt her when she bites it? (she doesn't 'eat' the blankets, but there's little holes where she bites the blanket to push and shove them where she wants. How people can't notice the plethora of little holes everywhere is beyond me... :shock: )

What a wonderful Mom you have! Give her a kiss for me- I don't have a Mommy to kiss of my own anymore, and she so deserves it. Sounds like something my mom would have done for me. <sniff>

Anyway, to your question- I know there are a plethora of natural dyes but haven't used any myself, not being into the sewing arts... but you can even make your own dyes- boiling beets is one way, or red cabbage, some people "age" fabric w/ tea or coffee. She might chew even more holes in her blankie though, lol! Next time why don't you buy a hideous flowered sheet or something? ;) I'm sure most chemical dyes would be fairly safe after a couple of washings since she's not actually eating it anyway.

I use old clothes and socks and such as rags, and I just write RAG on them with a sharpie.

@Mama: Oh, honey, trust me. I adore my momma, and even more for stuff like this. She carries a little list with her of bunny-safe foods, and when she's feeling frisky, will get Ollie something on her way home. She always asks if something is okay and safe for her before I give her anything new (and I'm 26!), and I had to laugh when she scolded me for how I trained Ollie to not chew on electrical cords.

Herm... ugly sheets: ironically, my sister ADORES those things. *shudders* Thrift-stores are by far her favorite. But I could get that lime green or neon yellow... That's a thought I hadn't had yet! ^_^ It's a better idea, actually, because that would probably be WAY easier to put into her cage than these blankets... they're 4 times the size of her crate! >.< Thanks for the awesome idea!!

Well, tell your Mama she has a new fan! Maybe she'll go to the thrift store with you- my Mom had a real talent for finding what we referred to as 'Treasures'. :lol:

You could cut her blankets into 1/4s and hem the raw edges...then they wouldn't fit anyone's bed....and be easier to get into her crate.

Back