Due 28th November - 2 does

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know I really should stop.... but I couldn't help it... I wanted a doe bread to a buck I was getting rid of ... and well... if you are going to breed one.... (I'm done till spring... honest!)

Monday 28th is the DUE date.
2nd time mom, Sheri, building a nest already, was hay stashing last week.
first time mom, Little Red Riding Hood (aka Lia) .... well, not doing much of anything.... she did check out the nest box and dig around in there, but no building or hay stashing.

Looking forward to more babies!
Photos to follow this weekend....

Is this what you meant when you accused me of having about as much self restraint as you do? ;). It is a fair charge: I did allow a breeding that might result in kits in the dead of winter, in Alberta, outdoors. A smarter person may have realized the amount of work that was going to cause them... :p Whereas I just thought, "hey, Bunnies! Why not?"

I am looking forward to seeing your new kits as they arrive!

Ferra":h4kzzro5 said:
Is this what you meant when you accused me of having about as much self restraint as you do? ;). It is a fair charge: I did allow a breeding that might result in kits in the dead of winter, in Alberta, outdoors. A smarter person may have realized the amount of work that was going to cause them... :p Whereas I just thought, "hey, Bunnies! Why not?"

You got it!!

I have a friend that says I have NO control when I comes to breeding....
I will have you know 3 of my does and not with Kits or Pregnant right now!! (I have 5 breed-able does right now)
I think that is self control.... How long they stay that way????? not sure... lol :lol: :D :lol:

Ferra":2sw9bnbu said:

My next litter is due December 11th... With a doe who loves having 1-2 kits a litter. A smart person would think "hmmm, maybe I'll wait until spring or summer." But not me lol

It sounds like we all have a bit (lot) of that Rabbittosis .....

Little Red Riding Hood has given birth sometime last night... she is a great tempered doe with a big head and nice type.... she loves pets and get head kisses ....
She had 7 with one d.o.a. so I think there are 6 live kits in the box (I just checked quickly this morning.) Lots of fur pulled.

Waiting on Sheri to kindle.... she is HUGE.. she doesn't even have to lay down for you to see her tummy....

I will post photos tomorrow... I know we are all waiting for them....lol

Blakie83":2hscq5pp said:
...speaking of restraint... I may or may not have bred another doe a week ago.... :p :frypan:

So you and I are looking at very similar arrival dates then! It'll be interesting having my first litter scheduled to arrive on December 21st: The longest night of the year. :D

So you and I are looking at very similar arrival dates then! It'll be interesting having my first litter scheduled to arrive on December 21st: The longest night of the year.

Our girls are on the same schedule lol of course the longest day

Ferra":2tt3xm5x said:
Blakie83":2tt3xm5x said:
...speaking of restraint... I may or may not have bred another doe a week ago.... :p :frypan:

So you and I are looking at very similar arrival dates then! It'll be interesting having my first litter scheduled to arrive on December 21st: The longest night of the year. :D
Speak of no restraint mine are due December 11th

Unhappy morning.... Sheri had 11 kits.. all dead.. she made a nest, had the kits, cleaned them up and pulled fur, but stuffed the fur in the other end of the nest box..... :evil: :( ... Not happy with this girl right now.

She got 4 of Lia's (little red riding hood) kits to tend as she was full of milk and turns out Lia had 9 live kits. (not 6 like originally thought!!!)

I got pictures of Lia's litter:
Lia's first litter -9.png

Lia form a month or so back:
Em and Bunny.jpg

Lia now: (Not a great photo, cause she's a friendly bunny and wants to know what you are doing)
Lia.png

The buck:
Little Red.png

Aww. Sorry about the failed nest. You mentioned Sheri was a first-timer? She just derped on her fur placement perhaps? Here's hoping the little girl shapes up and starts getting it right for you. On the other hand, you have 9 new bunlets! I like the 3 red/brown ones. :) Are you breeding for particular pelt colors?

Ferra":ivybkzmc said:
Aww. Sorry about the failed nest. You mentioned Sheri was a first-timer? She just derped on her fur placement perhaps? Here's hoping the little girl shapes up and starts getting it right for you. On the other hand, you have 9 new bunlets! I like the 3 red/brown ones. :) Are you breeding for particular pelt colors?

I am working towards a tri coloured meat line and a show Magpie Harlequin line.
I have a pretty little tri buck out of a Broken American Chinchilla mix doe and a tri Rex Buck.
If I run out of cage space, I'm afraid that the Meat line will be the one to go... The Harlequin provide enough culls to give me lots of meat rabbits, so a meat line will become redundant. <br /><br /> -- Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:58 pm -- <br /><br />
Blakie83":ivybkzmc said:
I still can't count how many I have they're all the same color and bounced around too much haha I'm pretty sure 7 but I could be off

My first count was 6... lol. :lol: :lol: .. off by 3...lol.. :lol:

That bouncing around makes them very hard to photograph!
I had to take 4-5 photos that didn't have all blurs...... I didn't want to leave them out of the nest too long, so I had to be quick.

I will be checking up on them tonight again after work.... love those babies!

We really must be under the same moon... I do believe I just counted 9.....and bellies so round it was almost alarming... mom is full of milk ... I guess giving her a bowl of black oil sunflower seeds free choice and a heaping handful of alfalfa is kicking it in hahahahaha.... it's about a ladle full in the bowl... and also 18% pellets.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :x

SarniaTricia":2b3hqqtm said:
Blakie83":2b3hqqtm said:
I still can't count how many I have they're all the same color and bounced around too much haha I'm pretty sure 7 but I could be off

My first count was 6... lol. :lol: :lol: .. off by 3...lol.. :lol:

That bouncing around makes them very hard to photograph!
I had to take 4-5 photos that didn't have all blurs...... I didn't want to leave them out of the nest too long, so I had to be quick.

I will be checking up on them tonight again after work.... love those babies!

I know the feel of taking 20 pictures just for one that isn't blurry.. There's always one rooting around and then they all start bouncing.. But I only have 11 days until potential babies, she's been very pushy and moody so I doubt she isn't I just wish I could palpate her without my arm getting chewed off, I wanna get an idea of how many :| Maybe I'll just have to wait until she has them *sighs very overdramatically* lol it'll be a nice 2 weeks before Christmas present

ButtonsPalace":376k5clg said:
I know the feel of taking 20 pictures just for one that isn't blurry.. There's always one rooting around and then they all start bouncing.. But I only have 11 days until potential babies, she's been very pushy and moody so I doubt she isn't I just wish I could palpate her without my arm getting chewed off, I wanna get an idea of how many :| Maybe I'll just have to wait until she has them *sighs very overdramatically* lol it'll be a nice 2 weeks before Christmas present

The waiting is the hardest thing!!

Photos are always a challenge; either the rabbit is so curious "what you are doing?" and all you get is a picture of rabbit nose... or they are moving and you just get blur... fun times... :lol:

My first time doe seemed to be having some issues with feeding, so I trapped her in the nest box for 5 minutes to let the kits feed.... everyone looked like they felt better for it. This doe is super cuddly... she loves to get pets and head kisses, so it was a low stress experience, I pet her the whole time.

-- Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:03 am --

Week old baby pictures:
28nov - 1.png
28nov - 2.png
28nov - 3.png

4 are with Sheri and 5 are with Little Red Riding Hood....
All are healthy and fat....lol
I'm really hoping that one of the reds is a girl!! (or two would be nice!)

Back