dry cob for rabbits.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beamer

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I joined some time ago & have thoroughly enjoyed & appreciate the wealth of information you all provide but this is my 1st post.
We're butchering our steer tomorrow and will have about 10 pounds of dry cob left over. Does anyone see a problem feeding it to rabbits as a treat to use it up? I have a buck and 3 does. All Californians except one New Zealand doe. And currently 16, 8 week old fryers. I generally only feed pellets and hay. Off the top of my head the dry cob is mostly oats, corn and barley. I'd have to look at the label to know what else is in it.
Thanks.

If I'm not mistaken COB stands for Corn Oats Barley ;)

I feed my rabbits this mix when I cannot get a grain mix without corn. I haven't had any problems using corn but others have - I believe there is a mycotoxin it might contain :shrug:

My rabbits actually don't like the corn and will scatter it out of the feeders which is why I try and get the mix without it.

I always wondered what cob actually stood for! lol. I have a friend that has a Netherlands dwarf pet and he feeds it oats as a treat so I didn't think it would be a problem but I've only been raising rabbits for about a year and a half and have plenty to learn. I haven't had a lick of problems (knock on wood) and didn't want to do anything to upset the apple cart.

:oops: I saw this post and though it was the corn on a cob you slathered butter and salt on. :oops: My bad. But when they pull in the fields they leave behind empty corn cobs. The dogs loves them. Would those be ok as chew items for rabbits?

wamplercathy":19ntgmjt said:
But when they pull in the fields they leave behind empty corn cobs. The dogs loves them. Would those be ok as chew items for rabbits?

Mis M freezes them & gives them as a summer treat to the buns. She might have input. Be careful with how many the dogs chew--my sister's rottweiler ended up getting a compacted gut (and a very expensive surgery.). Might be a bigger hazard for wasp-waisted dogs...

the reluctant farmer":szt0xfdm said:
wamplercathy":szt0xfdm said:
But when they pull in the fields they leave behind empty corn cobs. The dogs loves them. Would those be ok as chew items for rabbits?

Mis M freezes them & gives them as a summer treat to the buns. She might have input. Be careful with how many the dogs chew--my sister's rottweiler ended up getting a compacted gut (and a very expensive surgery.). Might be a bigger hazard for wasp-waisted dogs...

They don't eat them just chew them up and spread them around the yard. I would guess some gets swallowed but we watch them.

the reluctant farmer":20vn5yy5 said:
wamplercathy":20vn5yy5 said:

Mis M freezes them & gives them as a summer treat to the buns. She might have input.
Yes, when we have corn on the cob, we freeze the leftover cobs and pass them out to the bunnies on hot days. Popsicles, bunny-style! :)

As for the dry cob, I did try a horse feed experiment with our buns for a while (as their main diet, not a treat). It had corn in it. Most of the corn was wasted by the rabbits. Dood is right, corn comes with the risk of mycotoxins. Most rabbit feeds contain it, though.

Back