Register

Dry cat food for rabbits?

Choose the right feeds to suit your needs and budget.
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,628.00

Dry cat food for rabbits?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby a7736100 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:33 pm

My free range lop doe is hooked on cat food. I've found her eating the cat food. Not only does she go for it, she's pretty bossy and aggressive towards the feral cat I feed. When ever the cat sees her approaching she moves away and let the rabbit at the food. I now have to place the cat food on a table so the cat can get to it but too high for the rabbit to reach. So far the cat food don't seem to hurt the rabbit.

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,701.00

Re: Dry cat food for rabbits?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby golden rabbitry » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:43 pm

try and keep her out of the cat food.... nothing a rabbit should be eating

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 32,838.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Zass » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:56 pm

A lot of cheap cat food is mostly corn or other grain products.
Functionally more suitable for rabbits than cats!!
Still, I could see it causing her to gain weight if she gets too much.

The following user would like to thank Zass for this post
michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 13,103.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:16 am

I have fed dry catfood to does that needed to gain weight
it helped a lot and they love it.
Catfood is low in fiber, as long as she has access to a lot of fiber, she will be fine.
When I fed a lot of rabbits with only what I could grow... I often had access to "free" dog and cat food,
It helped all the rabbits look better, and the young rabbits gained weight faster.
and--[ contrary to House Rabbit Society propaganda]... Rabits will eat animal based protein
and like to do so..[I didn't ever feed raw meat]
We fed our rabbits "all" of the houshold food scraps...
[When a rabbit cleans leftover meat off a steak bone, there is very little of the bone left...]
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,525.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby hotzcatz » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:52 pm

It just seems odd to feed a carnivore's diet to a herbivore? Well, around here cat food is way more expensive than bunny food so it probably won't be an experiment we will be trying but it's interesting to think about. Cats are an obligate carnivore and need some sort of enzyme they get from meat, I think, or they will go blind is what I've heard.
Hula Bunny Yarn from Hillside Farm Hawaii
http://www.hillsidefarmhawaii.com

Site Supporter
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 32,838.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Zass » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:30 pm

hotzcatz wrote:It just seems odd to feed a carnivore's diet to a herbivore? Well, around here cat food is way more expensive than bunny food so it probably won't be an experiment we will be trying but it's interesting to think about. Cats are an obligate carnivore and need some sort of enzyme they get from meat, I think, or they will go blind is what I've heard.

I think the real question is why do we put so much herbivore food (corn and grain) into an obligate carnivores diet? :lol: