(Dood) Clip on nest boxes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerriG

Reaction score
I found an old thread about them, but nothing new. I am looking at forward nest boxes when I go to smaller cages. Right now we have doe cages with an attached den. We are reworking everything and going to 24"x30" cages. I really like the idea of adding a nest box onto the front so that the doe doesn't loose her cage space.

The only picture I found was one that dood posted, but I would like more info. I can't find much on google. Help!

The front of the boxes need to be made of thicker wood (1/2" or more) to use screws to attach the hooks or you can use thinner wood and nuts and bolts with washers if you want lighter weight boxes.

The floor will still need to be sturdier to support getting jumped into and out frequently of as you don't want the bottom falling out

I never use nails in their construction as they can work loose over time from vibrations and jostling of the doe and kits going in and out

Are you still using them? How do they work? Well I hope.

What did you use for hooks? What size did you make them? Do they lock on somehow?

Thanks so much!

Still using them (going on 4 years).

I love them ;)

I use "L" brackets bent into a "U" shape

I made them to fit the specific cage - I've got a variety of door sizes and on some the "J" feeder is closer to the door so I had to shorten the length of the nest box to fit it to the front of the cage Most are around 10" x 10" x 20" long

No lock, just hooked in 2 spots on the top edge of the cage wire and gravity does the rest

Back