Don't try to transplant 4 yr old asparagus!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alforddm

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Why was I trying to transplant 4 year old asparagus you are probably asking? Well, when we first moved here I ordered two year old asparagus roots and asked hubby to dig me a trench. Of course he never "got around to it" and the root arrived so I planted them in the flower garden I made which happens to be in the front of the house. Well, ever since them he has been gripping about how they look like huge weeds growing in front of the house. So, I finally got tired of him gripping and told him I'd move the darn things.

Those root crowns were HUGE! A few were over 1 ft across and HEAVY! The hardest part was trying to get them out of the ground. I broke the shovel handle. Granted the handle was old but still :lol: I thought several times I should take pictures but I was afraid if I stopped and went in the house I wouldn't come out again :x . The new trench I dug was several feet longer then the original one and I still had to extend it several more feet to get them all back into the ground. It ended up being about twice the length of the original trench. I lined the bottom with a good serving of bunny berries so can't wait to see how it does.

I am going to have to get a longer water hose but considering the asparagus is close to the rabbits maybe I can eventually get a hydrant out there (I'll probably have to dig the trench myself) :lol:

So there was my fun for the day. I'm pooped.

Our old shovels lift 15' high and 24' long sliding stable doors that have frozen shut. :lol: Anything younger than that is a newer shovel, which do break eventually. It is worth a few broken shovels though to not always use the iron scoop shovels that weigh more than what you are moving. 30 years from now those shovels will still be functioning.

Just keep cutting down anything that sticks its little head above the soil level. it will eventually wear itself out trying to grow.

Back