Don't Tell The Kids - Rabbit as cuisine in NY

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DH showed me that yesterday. I want to know how they were able to stage a demonstration like that without getting all the animal rights activists showing up. And how can I find people to pay me $100 each for a demonstration? :lol:

Seriously, though, how can a small breeder sell to restaurants without going through a licensed abattoir?

Half Caper Farm":2e83vf9i said:
I want to know how they were able to stage a demonstration like that without getting all the animal rights activists showing up.
I was wondering the same thing! Especially in New York! Several years ago, a friend of mine was teaching wilderness survival to some Scouts, and was going to teach them how to dispatch, butcher, and clean a chicken. Somehow the local PETA nuts got wind of it (I think he offered to teach Scouts from troops other than his own), and he had to call it off. And that was in Texas!

And how can I find people to pay me $100 each for a demonstration?
I know, right?

Seriously, though, how can a small breeder sell to restaurants without going through a licensed abattoir?
In the U.S., at least, I think it depends on state and local law. I got the idea from the article that at least some of the breeders were selling them live to the restaurants.

trinityoaks":22mlu543 said:
I got the idea from the article that at least some of the breeders were selling them live to the restaurants.

This is what it sounded like to me... at first, my eyes bugged that they could get $25-30 for a cleaned rabbit, translating to roughly $5-15 per pound! Then I realized it sounded more like it was a live rabbit the resaurant was buying.

I, too, am amazed that it managed to be done in NY without PETA people painting their bodies white, wearing bunny ears, and having a nude sit in. :x

Miss M":392d7l61 said:
I, too, am amazed that it managed to be done in NY without PETA people painting their bodies white, wearing bunny ears, and having a nude sit in. :x

Yeah, really! Just the thought makes me sick!!! :sick:

I thought the article was great. Some of the house rabbit and animal rights people are squiming about it though. Too bad there isn't a bigger market for rabbits.

ILoveBunnies":a6wdxe99 said:
Miss M":a6wdxe99 said:

Yeah, really! Just the thought makes me sick!!! :sick:

LMAO yes the thought of a PETA nude sitin makes me sick too... :shock: :shock:

Back