Dog food is so expensive... If I bred small show rabbits....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, toastedoat I'm just like you, I hate cooking too. I don't understand why people put so much time and energy into preparing, say, a gourmet meal with all that chopping and sauces and soaking the meat in special marinades ahead of time- they spend all that time and then... poof its gone they eat it and all that hard work is gone.<br /><br />__________ Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:14 am __________<br /><br />
OneAcreFarm":3feyyjsw said:
I wonder why this thread has almost 700 views? :popcorn:

I think maybe a lot of people are also worried about how expensive dog food is getting. And also worried their dogs aren't getting enough nutrition from the overpriced dry dog food sold in super markets, so they are also thinking of rabbits as a solution.

squidpop":2lsotgq7 said:
Wow, toastedoat I'm just like you, I hate cooking too. I don't understand why people put so much time and energy into preparing, say, a gourmet meal with all that chopping and sauces and soaking the meat in special marinades ahead of time
Because there is so much chemicals and crap in package food...You can still cook for yourself and dont have to go there all that work. Like marinades ect. Eating out of packages and boxes and restaurants will catch up with you.

Dog food is the same way. Lots of crap in it also. If you feeding allot of rabbit to your dog . you will have to add some fat with it. And you should breed the larger meat rabbits for this reason.

Wow, toastedoat I'm just like you, I hate cooking too. I don't understand why people put so much time and energy into preparing, say, a gourmet meal with all that chopping and sauces and soaking the meat in special marinades ahead of time- they spend all that time and then... poof its gone they eat it and all that hard work is gone.

...depends on how you go about doing it. My dad and his girlfriend do a lot of gourmet cooking together, it is their hobby. Being that the act of cooking is part of what makes it fun for them, they don't worry about how much work it is.

Imagine if someone found out you breed or keep rabbits. Oh wow, they just cannot understand why anyone would go to all the work of feeding and watering and cleaning up after rabbits when you could have a pet rock instead! Just because they don't "get" it doesn't mean it isn't fun or enjoyable for others.

We all have our passtimes! :D

Plus...good cooking doesn't have to be labor intensive unless you want it to be. :) I love to cook good, tasty, wholesome food and it is never a major ordeal unless it's a holiday. I may soak some venison in marinade overnight (really not hard: mix your marinade which takes like two minutes, pour into large ziplock freezer bag, toss meat into bag...seal it and toss it in the fridge!) and then steam some ears of corn on the grill, grill or pan-fry the meat, maybe even make some veggie side dishes or a salad. Lots of good food, plenty of color and variety, and very tasty.

I figure it this way: Food is a big part of my life. I eat food prettymuch every day. I can spend my days eating junk or crappy food, or I can eat things I like that are good for me. :)

But again, we are all individuals, with our own prefferences and tastes, pun intended! :)

Kyle@theHeathertoft":29nqtsnx said:
Imagine if someone found out you breed or keep rabbits. Oh wow, they just cannot understand why anyone would go to all the work of feeding and watering and cleaning up after rabbits when you could have a pet rock instead! Just because they don't "get" it doesn't mean it isn't fun or enjoyable for others.
That is so funny. A pet rock

I get the gourmet thing. I just don't have the time or patience for it. Now if I fed my dogs out of a bag, and got rid of my rabbits, then I'd have time to cook for myself... And I probably still wouldn't do it.

Mary Ann is right, I think. I would breed a meat breed to feed my dogs, but I have big dogs.

squidpop":1qi3rm8n said:
I think maybe a lot of people are also worried about how expensive dog food is getting. And also worried their dogs aren't getting enough nutrition from the overpriced dry dog food sold in super markets, so they are also thinking of rabbits as a solution.

That why I chose the rabbits I did. Feeding my 3 largish dogs 1 fryer 3x a week is 9 rabbits a week, times 52 weeks is 468 rabbits a year. Even cutting that in half is still a large number.
Hmmm......I need more cages :p
Time to hit the Klubertanz site I think

Latest posts

Back