Register

Dog food is so expensive... If I bred small show rabbits....

From vermiculture and selling rabbit manure to rent-a-bunny for Easter photographs, this forum is a place to discuss other ideas for making a profit from rabbits.
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 31,400.00

Re: Dog food is so expensive... If I bred small show rabbits....

Post Number:#31  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:38 pm

I wonder why this thread has almost 700 views? :popcorn:

http://www.oneacrefarmrabbits.com
~A micro-attempt at self-sufficiency~

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 48,829.00

Post Number:#32  Unread postby skysthelimit » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:42 pm

MamaSheepdog wrote:I could care less what the chickens eat! Does that make me strange?

*Snide comments to the effect of "No, it's not that which makes you strange, MSD." will be studiously ignored! :lol:

Not at all. Besides, I think we all are a little strange, that's what makes us fun. I don't eat eggs anyway.

And remember, I'm the girl who butchers for her dogs but can't eat the meat because I can't eat what I've handled...
German Shepherds*Rush Hour Rabbitry*Rex *Jersey Wooly*French Angora
http://www.foursquaremicrofarm.us

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada
BunnyBucks: 16,745.00

Post Number:#33  Unread postby 3mina » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:51 pm

Saiyuri wrote:I'm planning on attempting to move my cats over to a raw diet, will probably cost more than buying meat in s omight just keep the rabbits for our consumption as I only like eating the 'higher welfare' meat anyway so works out about the same (although I'm working on bringing my costs down with more natural foods, sadly paying almost the cost of the feed itself on postage as I don't drive >.<)

Would love to know how well its working out for others (not just cats but any carnivore) as still in the early stages of working it all out

I switched my ferrets over easily, their kibble was 3/4 chicken anyway. They love raw, same with my dogs.
Rex and American Sables

BunnyBucks: 1,740.00

Post Number:#34  Unread postby 6riversfarms » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:39 pm

MamaSheepdog wrote:I could care less what the chickens eat! Does that make me strange?

*Snide comments to the effect of "No, it's not that which makes you strange, MSD." will be studiously ignored! :lol:

I don't care what the chickens eat either MSD. I know I like eating them. I love fried chicken, baked chicken, rotissere (sp?) chicken, ..... ok time for an after supper snack.

BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#35  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:48 pm

I love their eggs- I'll take an egg that holds its shape over one that runs all over the pan any day. Store-bought eggs are just gross in my opinion!
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

BunnyBucks: 1,740.00

Post Number:#36  Unread postby 6riversfarms » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:01 pm

MamaSheepdog wrote:I love their eggs- I'll take an egg that holds its shape over one that runs all over the pan any day. Store-bought eggs are just gross in my opinion!

I love them too. I grew up on them. They taste like home to me lol.

Getting a flock going is my next development for the farm after I get my rabbitry like I want it. Right now I think I am going with barred plymoth rock.

BunnyBucks: 1,365.00

Post Number:#37  Unread postby toastedoat37 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:39 pm

sky, what do you eat,,,,no rabbit, no chicken, no eggs?,,,,,,how about steak and pork chops?

BunnyBucks: 230.00

Post Number:#38  Unread postby themangoavenger » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:38 am

MamaSheepdog wrote:Burning the fur off would reek, and I don't think scalding would work. Easier to just skin them... or breed bald rabbits! :lol:

They're already ahead of you on that.
http://users.tamuk.edu/kfsdl00/operation_fuzz.htm

BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#39  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:59 am

themangoavenger wrote:They're already ahead of you on that.

Poor naked buns! :lol: Interesting that they have better thermo regulatation than furred bunnies. Those of us that have cold winters would have to knit little angora sweaters for them!

:hmm: MSD: Breeder of quality Rex, Angora, and Nekkid Rabbits...
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

Post Number:#40  Unread postby skysthelimit » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:43 pm

toastedoat37 wrote:sky, what do you eat,,,,no rabbit, no chicken, no eggs?,,,,,,how about steak and pork chops?

I eat very little meat. I HATE to cook, most of what I eat comes out of a bag, prepared meals, whatever I don't have to cook. I don't even have a stove. I freely admit my dogs eat better than I do. I will eat at restaurants, seafood and very well done steak.

Site Supporter
Female
BunnyBucks: 4,493.00

Post Number:#41  Unread postby squidpop » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:14 am

Wow, toastedoat I'm just like you, I hate cooking too. I don't understand why people put so much time and energy into preparing, say, a gourmet meal with all that chopping and sauces and soaking the meat in special marinades ahead of time- they spend all that time and then... poof its gone they eat it and all that hard work is gone.

__________ Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:14 am __________

OneAcreFarm wrote:I wonder why this thread has almost 700 views? :popcorn:

I think maybe a lot of people are also worried about how expensive dog food is getting. And also worried their dogs aren't getting enough nutrition from the overpriced dry dog food sold in super markets, so they are also thinking of rabbits as a solution.

Site Supporter
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 16,633.00

Post Number:#42  Unread postby Mary Ann's Rabbitry » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:44 am

squidpop wrote:Wow, toastedoat I'm just like you, I hate cooking too. I don't understand why people put so much time and energy into preparing, say, a gourmet meal with all that chopping and sauces and soaking the meat in special marinades ahead of time

Because there is so much chemicals and crap in package food...You can still cook for yourself and dont have to go there all that work. Like marinades ect. Eating out of packages and boxes and restaurants will catch up with you.

Dog food is the same way. Lots of crap in it also. If you feeding allot of rabbit to your dog . you will have to add some fat with it. And you should breed the larger meat rabbits for this reason.

United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 21,575.00

Post Number:#43  Unread postby Kyle@theWintertime » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:09 am

Wow, toastedoat I'm just like you, I hate cooking too. I don't understand why people put so much time and energy into preparing, say, a gourmet meal with all that chopping and sauces and soaking the meat in special marinades ahead of time- they spend all that time and then... poof its gone they eat it and all that hard work is gone.

...depends on how you go about doing it. My dad and his girlfriend do a lot of gourmet cooking together, it is their hobby. Being that the act of cooking is part of what makes it fun for them, they don't worry about how much work it is.

Imagine if someone found out you breed or keep rabbits. Oh wow, they just cannot understand why anyone would go to all the work of feeding and watering and cleaning up after rabbits when you could have a pet rock instead! Just because they don't "get" it doesn't mean it isn't fun or enjoyable for others.

We all have our passtimes! :D

Plus...good cooking doesn't have to be labor intensive unless you want it to be. :) I love to cook good, tasty, wholesome food and it is never a major ordeal unless it's a holiday. I may soak some venison in marinade overnight (really not hard: mix your marinade which takes like two minutes, pour into large ziplock freezer bag, toss meat into bag...seal it and toss it in the fridge!) and then steam some ears of corn on the grill, grill or pan-fry the meat, maybe even make some veggie side dishes or a salad. Lots of good food, plenty of color and variety, and very tasty.

I figure it this way: Food is a big part of my life. I eat food prettymuch every day. I can spend my days eating junk or crappy food, or I can eat things I like that are good for me. :)

But again, we are all individuals, with our own prefferences and tastes, pun intended! :)
Wintertime Rabbitry: Zwergschecken/Dwarf Papillons
Member of the American Rabbit Breeders Association, the Western Michigan Rabbit Breeders Association, the Forest City Rabbit Breeders Club, and the Michigan State Rabbit Breeders Association.

https://klawrence5995.wixsite.com/wintertime

Formerly Kyle@theHeathertoft

Site Supporter
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 16,633.00

Post Number:#44  Unread postby Mary Ann's Rabbitry » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 am

Kyle@theHeathertoft wrote:Imagine if someone found out you breed or keep rabbits. Oh wow, they just cannot understand why anyone would go to all the work of feeding and watering and cleaning up after rabbits when you could have a pet rock instead! Just because they don't "get" it doesn't mean it isn't fun or enjoyable for others.

That is so funny. A pet rock

Post Number:#45  Unread postby skysthelimit » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:30 pm

I get the gourmet thing. I just don't have the time or patience for it. Now if I fed my dogs out of a bag, and got rid of my rabbits, then I'd have time to cook for myself... And I probably still wouldn't do it.

Mary Ann is right, I think. I would breed a meat breed to feed my dogs, but I have big dogs.

PreviousNext