Register

Dog food is so expensive... If I bred small show rabbits....

From vermiculture and selling rabbit manure to rent-a-bunny for Easter photographs, this forum is a place to discuss other ideas for making a profit from rabbits.
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 45.00

Re: Dog food is so expensive... If I bred small show rabbits....

Post Number:#16  Unread postby walldogs » Tue May 01, 2012 5:48 pm

Brody wrote:rabbit alone wouldn't be balanced long term probably

I don't know anyone who deliberately feeds live rabbit to dogs .. I sure wouldn't want my dogs thinking the alive rabbits were dinner

My dogs always eat a bit of grass especially the grass that has been urinated on previously by the dogs. Its much greener.
http://walldogs.weebly.com/

Farm guard dogs and predator control dogs

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 110.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby BunnyStuff... » Wed May 02, 2012 11:45 am

Does anyone think that scalding the rabbit fur off like with chickens or lightly singing the fur off over a flame prior to freezing would take care of the fur ball problem for your cats?

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Wed May 02, 2012 11:53 am

Burning the fur off would reek, and I don't think scalding would work. Easier to just skin them... or breed bald rabbits! :lol:
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

BunnyBucks: 110.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby BunnyStuff... » Fri May 04, 2012 3:42 pm

OH no! Bald rabbits breeding. Hmmm...never thought of that before! They did it with cats, but it would be hard to keep the young from dying in the first few weeks. Would it be easier to use electric hair clippers like at the barber shop or would they get clogged with the fine fur too easy? I think it would be possible if someone were a fast hand. Besides, if someone is use to the smell of scalding chickens... you know what, it probably wouldn't work. Every time we took a hot shower we'd go bald! Ruh roh...

BunnyBucks: 946.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby wild1slilfarm » Mon May 07, 2012 11:46 am

I feed my dogs rabbit all the time, i have med size dogs(pit bulls and a border collie) if the rabbit is under 5lbs they eat every thing including fur, if the rabbit is bigger, my dogs have learned to eat every thing but the fur leaving me a perfectly clean pelt
Wild 1's Lil Farm
Baker City, OR
www.wild1slilfarm.weebly.com

Canada
BunnyBucks: 16,745.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby 3mina » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:00 pm

The reason I started in rabbits again was so I could feed my dogs & my breeders dogs. I own the rabbits, equipment & do the breeding and the rabbits are at my breeders acreage & she does the feeding. Any mortalities in the nest boxes go to whichever dog is closest.

__________ Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:00
I give a seaweed meal supplement & the dogs don't graze when the y get it
Last edited by 3mina on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rex and American Sables

Post Number:#22  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:24 am

3mina wrote:Any mortalities in the nest boxes go to whichever dog is closest.

We have one dog who is a dedicated raw feeder and gulps the dead kits down- otherwise I give them to the barncats or the chickens... whoever gets them I make it a point to look the other way!
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

BunnyBucks: 265.00

Post Number:#23  Unread postby Saiyuri » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:02 am

I'm planning on attempting to move my cats over to a raw diet, will probably cost more than buying meat in s omight just keep the rabbits for our consumption as I only like eating the 'higher welfare' meat anyway so works out about the same (although I'm working on bringing my costs down with more natural foods, sadly paying almost the cost of the feed itself on postage as I don't drive >.<)

Would love to know how well its working out for others (not just cats but any carnivore) as still in the early stages of working it all out

Site Supporter
Female
BunnyBucks: 4,493.00

Post Number:#24  Unread postby squidpop » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:43 am

Its been 6 weeks since I posted this and since I've gotten some rabbits and now, I'm all attached to them. Whenever I pick them up to put them in their rabbit run- I kiss their cute little heads, tell them they are good, good, rabbits, and sing them the Eww Boo rabbit song. So, my dog food plans have gone right out the window. Wish I could have rabbits for meat but I can't keep myself from making them into pets— they are just too friggin cute. Maybe I should get some uglier animals for meat like some really ugly chickens. What's the ugliest animal that is good for meat, that's what I should get for my dogs.

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 31,400.00

Post Number:#25  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:04 am

MamaSheepdog wrote:
3mina wrote:Any mortalities in the nest boxes go to whichever dog is closest.

We have one dog who is a dedicated raw feeder and gulps the dead kits down- otherwise I give them to the barncats or the chickens... whoever gets them I make it a point to look the other way!

Me too, I give them to the barncats but I just cannot watch them eat them...*shudder*

http://www.oneacrefarmrabbits.com
~A micro-attempt at self-sufficiency~

BunnyBucks: 48,829.00

Post Number:#26  Unread postby skysthelimit » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:12 pm

squidpop wrote:Its been 6 weeks since I posted this and since I've gotten some rabbits and now, I'm all attached to them. Whenever I pick them up to put them in their rabbit run- I kiss their cute little heads, tell them they are good, good, rabbits, and sing them the Eww Boo rabbit song. So, my dog food plans have gone right out the window. Wish I could have rabbits for meat but I can't keep myself from making them into pets— they are just too friggin cute. Maybe I should get some uglier animals for meat like some really ugly chickens. What's the ugliest animal that is good for meat, that's what I should get for my dogs.

I kiss and hug them too, right before I send them to camp. My dogs are cuter :mrgreen:

There are quite a few ugly chickens around, makes them a bit easier to turn into dogs food. But I found that after watching what chickens eat, I could not see myself eating any of them.
German Shepherds*Rush Hour Rabbitry*Rex *Jersey Wooly*French Angora
http://www.foursquaremicrofarm.us

United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 21,575.00

Post Number:#27  Unread postby Kyle@theWintertime » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:55 pm

Also chickens are a pain in the hindside compared to rabbits...they thrash like crazy after they have been killed, and they are no fun to clean. :P
Wintertime Rabbitry: Zwergschecken/Dwarf Papillons
Member of the American Rabbit Breeders Association, the Western Michigan Rabbit Breeders Association, the Forest City Rabbit Breeders Club, and the Michigan State Rabbit Breeders Association.

https://klawrence5995.wixsite.com/wintertime

Formerly Kyle@theHeathertoft

Post Number:#28  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:08 pm

Chickens smell funky when butchered too. Rabbits are much more pleasant to deal with.

Why don't you get NZ's or Cals- they look so similar that I think it would be harder to keep track of the "favorites". You can process them at any size too- if you want doggy meal-sized portions, just do the deed when they are younger.
Victory Garden Rabbits

Site Supporter
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 16,633.00

Post Number:#29  Unread postby Mary Ann's Rabbitry » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:10 pm

skysthelimit wrote: But I found that after watching what chickens eat, I could not see myself eating any of them.

This is why i will not eat farmer eggs. EWWWWWWWW.

Post Number:#30  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:14 pm

I could care less what the chickens eat! Does that make me strange?

*Snide comments to the effect of "No, it's not that which makes you strange, MSD." will be studiously ignored! :lol:
Victory Garden Rabbits

PreviousNext