Does this look like a fake Pedigree?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EviesTulipsRabbitry

Reaction score
Today, I went to my aunts to take picture's of her rabbits and other animals that she wants me do a website for her. Well anyways, She gave me her Pedigree book to look at. And I was looking at her pedigree's. My other bad Aunt that lives in Wisconsin that I told a few people about her. Well Becky bought rabbits from her awhile back. And I told Becky that she does fake pedigree and everything. And these pedigree's didnt add up. And the rest of the pedigree's were filled out a little and that was all. Not fully filled out. So I took some pictures of the pedigree and I will write it out on here too! I just wanted to know if this looks fake or what you think?
I am helping out the best I can with my Aunt Becky. She is a first time rabbit breeder/show. And She haves a litter with the Mommy of this pedigree.

Thanks, Misty

(THE PEDIGREE)
SDC11224-1.jpg

*THE WRITING*

Sire: Hause KDR GrandSire: BOB EAR#BOB G.G Sire Ralph NC3
Ear: RJ13 G.G.Dam Princess Ear# NF1

GrandDam: Chunk EAR# Chunk G.G.Sire Howard NC47
G.G.Dam Lucy FG40
Big Alice
Sandy

Dam: KDR Linda Lou GrandSire: BOB Ear#BOB G.G.Sire Ralph NC3
G.GDam Princess NF1

GrandDam: Lucy FG40 G.G.Sire Ralph NC3
G.G.Dam PHA-FL2 Ear# FL2

i don't recognize any of the breeders on there. Sorry I can't help you much, its hard to tell. :( maybe somebody else here will recognize some names on ear numbers on there.

I just wanted to know if it was fake or not.

I know that the names that are on here doesnt have any rabbitry names in front of the names?<br /><br />__________ Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:06 pm __________<br /><br />I know that the names that are on here doesnt have any rabbitry names in front of the names?

Pedigrees are only as good as the breeder who writes them. Many people do not have a Rabbitry name, often I've found in Flemish Giants and commercial breeds the rabbits aren't even named, they just have ear numbers, sometimes with the breeders or rabbitry name, sometimes not. Often 4H'rs just name the rabbit Fluffy or Buffy or whatever, yet they could have gotten their breeding stock from a very good breeder, just the 3 gens on the ped are all their rabbits that they bred. We really can't tell you if the ped is phony or not, only you can determine that. Is this person an upright honest breeder who keeps good records? Thats your call.

Well then ask her who her rabbits came from originally, and figure it out from there. I noticed that some of the ear numbers start with NC, FG, NF in the third generation, a lot of the old timers in Flemish put their initials and then a number in their rabbits ears. Because they didn't name their rabbits or use a rabbitry name the ear number had to tell folks who bred the rabbit. You could go to a show out there in Michigan and show the ped to a Flemish breeder and see if they reconize the initials. I would just say that you want to know whose rabbits are behind yours. By the way, Michigan is a hotbed of Flemish activity, lots and lots of Flemmie breeders out there.

No way to tell for certain. I would agree with the statement about a pedigree being only as good as the breeder. I would have to say though, that if I were going to make up a pedigree (I wouldn't, just a hypothetical) that I wouldn't put down that I was breeding brother to sister as much as appears in the pedigree above. You would think she would have expanded the gene pool some.

Thats a really good point Pfau, I didn't even consider it because I'm so used to tightly linebreeding, you'll see the same rabbits over and over on my peds, so its normal to me. If the peds were a complete fabrication most folks wouldn't put down rabbits with multiple half sibling crosses, because of how inbreeding is viewed by many. Very astute of you.

What does "Big Alice" look like? Is she nice? She is the product of a half sibling mating and her mother was the product of a half siblin mating so they are linebred on "Lucy" who doesn't appear to have her weight or any legs down (plus good old Bob of course who is the product of Lucy)Its a fairly normal looking ped. to me.

Back